Simon Fraser vs York Math

omnomnom

Were you accepted for a PhD or a Masters? This information will change my answer dramatically.

And re: the above poster, they are probably annoyed that York seems to be on the verge of another strike.

I would say SFU. York doesnt have a good reputation after that long and messy strike and ongoing campus assults and violence. They may throw money at you to get you in but after that there is very little financial support (the exact opposit of UofT). I dont know the programs but I know for sure that many people around me wouldn't even apply to York.

I would say SFU. York doesnt have a good reputation after that long and messy strike and ongoing campus assults and violence. They may throw money at you to get you in but after that there is very little financial support (the exact opposit of UofT). I dont know the programs but I know for sure that many people around me wouldn't even apply to York.

Are you talking about Masters or PhDs? Masters yes, a lot of programs will only guarantee funding for a year.

PhD funding at York is for 6 years guaranteed and (according to the York GSA, take that how you will) is the best guaranteed minimum in Canada. SFU I'm not sure about the number of years, but you are top of the sessional priority pool once you are ABD and until you defend your dissertation. And of course course directorships pay more than a teaching assistant gig.

But rather than funding amount I believe the more important question to ask is WHERE is the funding coming from. Teaching Assistantships? Research Assistant? Straight up scholarship? Go to the school that has the smaller TAship workload (which I'm pretty sure we can all agree is the biggest timesuck out of the three usual options for funding sources). You'll want to minimize your workload so you can focus on research and publishing.