Studying trafficking/immigration. Which school to choose?

Goldman, Heinz. LBJ, or UCLA?

I understand Goldman emphasizes state politics/local gov in CA, LBJ has great faculty and good connections in TX, and CMU has good recognition on the East Coast.

Applying to grad schools I was focused more on domestic policies but recently I've been considering taking an international approach (thus the dearth of IR focused MPP programs I applied to -_-)

So if I had to choose from what I have, which program would give me the best education/placement/int'l exposure? Mainly to China/East Asia.

Thanks for the help guys. Decision dates are coming soon D:

The reason there's no advice is because there isn't that much to say. You applied to a bunch of non-IR focused schools. Yet you want to not just do IR, but a quite specific branch of IR. Unsurprisingly, your options are not very good.

Goldman and UCLA are not IR-focused. LBJ is a solid school for US applicants, but has about zero name recognition in China. If you can do CMU DC track, that might be the best since it's a legit IR program with the DC networking factor, but they are not particularly known for transnational security issues or Asian Studies.

If you feel like re-applying next year for programs more in line with your interests... Georgetown, Elliott, Tufts, etc. all have good classes and faculty for transnational security issues, into which trafficking and immigration would fall. They also have enough China specific classes that you could probably carve out a curriculum focusing on your preferred topic (trafficking/immigration + China). SAIS has an amazing Asian Studies program, check them out as well.

I don't know that much about it, but Goldman does offer a dual degree MPP/MA in International and Area Studies program that you can apply to after your first year. I'm not sure how closely it would relate to your IR interests, but you can declare quite a few regional or topical concentrations. You might want to contact that department directly and figure out how that ties in with what you are looking for since a third year could be more of a commitment than you were planning on.

http://gspp.berkeley...grams/#programs

Also, I went to undergrad in San Francisco and it is an excellent place to look at trafficking and immigration issues. There is a massive population of trafficked garmet factory and sex workers in the city, and there are a number of nonprofit organizations working to address local and global trafficking issues. San Francisco is a sanctuary city and so immigration is an especially relevant and interesting topic when looking at trafficking. I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for you to get involved with Not For Sale, POWER, the SAGE Project, or Global Exchange if you want relevant internships.

Edited by ahoskins321

bahaha yeah i've certainly put myself in a tight spot. I only got 12K a semester from CMU and I don't think I can transfer into the DC track so I think I'll have to take that out of the running.

between a full ride at UT Austin and a full ride at Berkeley (assuming I get a GSI/GSR position), I think I'm stuck debating whether or not I want to work in Texas or San Fran.

would it be safe to say that GSPP has better national recognition if I do end up trying to go to DC?

bahaha yeah i've certainly put myself in a tight spot. I only got 12K a semester from CMU and I don't think I can transfer into the DC track so I think I'll have to take that out of the running.

between a full ride at UT Austin and a full ride at Berkeley (assuming I get a GSI/GSR position), I think I'm stuck debating whether or not I want to work in Texas or San Fran.

would it be safe to say that GSPP has better national recognition if I do end up trying to go to DC?

If you want to do this, why not just apply to IR schools next round? Why bother with a degree that isn't really going to help you much?

Edited by dft309

I agree with everyone else.

But to answer your question - Berkeley has national recognition. It's IR program? Especially in DC? People are going to wonder why you went there.. and assume you went there because it's Berkeley, not because it's a good IR program. It'll be fairly obvious.

I would suggest applying to DC schools, and then you have the ability to also intern at human rights organizations that work on trafficking, etc.