Statistics Class?

So I've decided to head to a PhD program in Geography in the fall. It's been ages since I took statistics (think AP stats in high school, woo hoo!). I'm going to need to brush up!

I'm posting in the government affairs thread because I perceive you all as being very prepared when it comes to basic prerequisites like stats.

I'm wanting to brush up on my basic stats (think: to the proficiency of a social science stats 1 class). Does anyone have any good recommendations as to how to do this on my own time? I'd theoretically be open to taking an online course, but I'll be travelling so much this summer that a local community-college type course really isn't an option. I also don't have a lot of spare cash to be shelling out for a course for credit. I don't need the credit, I just want to bring myself up to speed so I can jump in to stats 2 when I start my program.

I have a good quantitative background, I'm disciplined, I do know some stats, and I'm a quick study. Ideally,

I'd like a self-study option that won't be too expensive. Any good books, itunes lectures, or free courses out there?

You may want to check out http://www.khanacademy.org/

I've used it to brush up on my Math skills, and found it to be pretty helpful.

"A free world-class education for anyone anywhere. The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education to anyone anywhere. All of the site's resources are available to anyone. It doesn't matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, adult returning to the classroom after 20 years, or a friendly alien just trying to get a leg up in earthly biology. The Khan Academy's materials and resources are available to you completely free of charge."

Edited by FlameLily

I've heard great things about Khan Academy, so I'd also recommend them.

I'm starting an online Macroeconomics class with Straighterline... they also have a Business Statistics course that I'm thinking of taking since I too haven't taken since AP Stat. I kind of like having a full-on course with a straightforward curriculum. Straighterline is also cheap - I'm doing the subscription which is $99 a month, and then $39 for each class. If you do the free trial (which isn't much of anything, really) then after a day, they send an email saying you can have the first course for free. I figure if I finish in a month, then it's just $99 for the class (or take both Macro and Stats over 2 months, then still about $99 for each course). I think it's mostly up to how you learn best...

MIT and Yale (among others) have FREE open, online courses. Here is the link to one stats course:

http://ocw.mit.edu/c...ns-spring-2009/

I just google "MIT opencourseware" and it was the first link. Search around a bit to find the class that you are looking for! I'm taking an econ class on there right now to brush up on what I have forgotten from undergrad and it's thorough enough to get the job done quite well :) Good luck!

Edited by BD123

+1 about MIT's stuff. You may need your own stats book, but it's almost better to google/wiki topics as you cover them. My experience with MIT's open courses is very good, and very intuitive. I mean, they basically select the most elloquent/effective teacher at MIT on the topic. Pretty good recipe for learning. Sounds like you'd be perfect for it. Good luck, and congrats on your PhD acceptance.