Jump to content

Question from a student who got waitlisted


VBD

Recommended Posts

Hello all!

(Long time lurker.. you guys are a plethora of information.. but first time post-er)

I had been accepted into a program (Program A)that is less fit to the research that I want, but closer in line with my research in the past. However, I had been waitlisted to my top choice program (Program B) which is much better fitted to the research I want to do. I really like Program B's PI's and I can see myself in many labs (this program requires rotations each semester). Program A similarly operates on a rotation requirement but I only see a fit with 1 or 2 PI's so I would have troubles figuring out the 3rd rotation and making it fit. I also don't want to "take a spot" from a person who's a better fit for Program A.

So my question is, how long should I wait (until the April 15th deadline) before I call Program A to inquire about my current status as a waitlisted student. I don't want to come across as desperate but I really DO want to be admitted into Program A.

If I won't know until after April 15th, is it fine to accept into Program B?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say if you feel that program B is the best fit for you, hold out for that program. Wait as long as you can before accepting the other offer just in case your name moves up on the list and you are granted admission.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wait. what???

Program A sounds like the better fit. For the research, but there's the waitlist issue, which sounds like a barrier.

Ask about the waitlist for Program A and if that doesn't work out go for program B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.