MA in Brandeis, only one year, any suggestion?

TBH, I've never heard any mater program of sociology in US has one year program. But my undergraduate performance is not that great and this offer is the only one i got. my career plan is definitely pursuing PhD after i get a MA. I suppose that a MA can make my PhD application more competitive.

Any suggestion or thought, PLEASE? it will mean a lot to me!

Thanks! @xdarthveganx I just wish this one-year MA can a highlight spot when I'm applying for PhD. And I applyed New School MA too, they rejected me. Wish you best in this year!

@avee, the department claims that MA students can choose to take exams or do a thesis. I think I'll need more advice if I registered.

Thanks! @xdarthveganx I just wish this one-year MA can a highlight spot when I'm applying for PhD. And I applyed New School MA too, they rejected me. Wish you best in this year!

@avee, the department claims that MA students can choose to take exams or do a thesis. I think I'll need more advice if I registered.

Have you contacted anyone at Brandeis-Sociology and asked what the "typical" MA student route is for this degree? I know sometimes in the 1 year social science degrees the departments encourage you to wait until the following year, prior to applying to PhD programs since your 'connections' with the faculty at the University will be in their nascent stages at the time you'd be applying to PhD's in your first (and only) year in the program. I would be very curious to know what Brandeis recommends here.

Edited by Learn619

@Learn619, I asked a faculty there, she suggested I should apply PhD fall 2014, which means there is gap time. The reason is what you just said, first year applying is too hasty. I really want to talk to someone who is a MA of Sociology in Brandeis, but I have no idea how to do that *sigh*

Edited by toolameforthisworld

@Learn619, I asked a faculty there, she suggested I should apply PhD fall 2014, which means there is gap time. The reason is what you just said, first year applying is too hasty. I really want to talk to someone who is a MA of Sociology in Brandeis, but I have no idea how to do that *sigh*

Thanks for the info. Did they happen to mention, or did you get any indication as to how helpful their Sociology department or career services would be in helping you fill the void for that gap year? Perhaps trying to find a research position for you on campus, or something along those lines, otherwise the gap year proposes an awkward element of "what do I do/Where do I go for the next few months while I’m waiting to apply for PhD programs."

From what I understand, similar 1 year programs (such as U Chicago's MAPSS) are pretty helpful in giving you relevant work to do in the gap year while you're waiting to apply, but who knows how truthful that actually is. That's just based off of what I've seen others on this board mention.

Edited by Learn619

@Learn619, well, the faculty implied that the gap year is one thing I should consider and take it serious. Meanwhile she said that there're time for me to decide whether I should apply for PhD. I'm curious what their graduated student's next steps. But it seems their school website did not provide such important information.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

This is my first post on this site, so I hope it helps...

I am currently getting my MA degree in Sociology. It's a two year program. You can opt for comprehensive exams which covers both quantitative and qualitative sections, or you can write a thesis in which you will have an additional 6-7years to write and complete (get accepted/pass). But, you have to finish all your classes within the two years allotted. As long as you know the one year program comes from an accredited university, you shouldn't have a problem, when applying for PhD. MAinly, do well in your classes, raise your GPA, and do well in the GRE. Good luck!