Housing for MSFS / SAIS students

I was wondering: what are the typical living arrangements for Georgetown MSFS students? Do some / most MSFS students decide to rent a house together in Georgetown or Burleigh area, like many Gtown med students of undergrads do?

I know many landlords in that sweet neighborhood lease out their houses for $4-5,000/ month, which 4-5 students get to share. I will be attending SAIS this fall, but would be interested in renting a house together with other grad students (SAIS, Gtown, other grad students etc)

My roommate is a 3rd year at Gtown Law and commutes in (30-60 mins depending on traffic, by car) from Silver Spring. She doesn't like the length of the commute but the pricing out here makes it worth it to her.

I was wondering: what are the typical living arrangements for Georgetown MSFS students? Do some / most MSFS students decide to rent a house together in Georgetown or Burleigh area, like many Gtown med students of undergrads do?

I know many landlords in that sweet neighborhood lease out their houses for $4-5,000/ month, which 4-5 students get to share. I will be attending SAIS this fall, but would be interested in renting a house together with other grad students (SAIS, Gtown, other grad students etc)

I go to SAIS, and a lot of my classmates live in Columbia Heights.

Dft309:

Do you by any chance know of anyone that lives out near Woodley Park/Cleveland Park? Or is that generally considered too far from campus?

Thanks

Second this. I am attending SAIS this fall as well, and am now looking at housing options. From it seems, the Woodley Park neighbourhood looks very nice and it is only one metro stop away from DuPont Circle.

Any input from current SAIS/MSFS students would be tremendously helpful, especially for someone who is looking for a nice, safe, and quiet neighbout with lovely cafes where I can read. :)

Edited by tingschu

Second this. I am attending SAIS this fall as well, and am now looking at housing options. From it seems, the Woodley Park neighbourhood looks very nice and it is only one metro stop away from DuPont Circle.

Any input from current SAIS/MSFS students would be tremendously helpful, especially for someone who is looking for a nice, safe, and quiet neighbout with lovely cafes where I can read. :)

Yes, a friend of mine actually lives across from the zoo. The fact of the matter is that few people really live in Dupont-the big concentration in Dupont is the 1500 Mass Ave building, with some sprinkled in the Winthrop House across the street from Nitze, the Bay State Apartments building, and a number in the International Student House. Most people tend to end up in Columbia Heights, Woodley Park/Cleveland Park, Adams Morgan, or Mount Pleasant.

My roommate is a 3rd year at Gtown Law and commutes in (30-60 mins depending on traffic, by car) from Silver Spring. She doesn't like the length of the commute but the pricing out here makes it worth it to her.

What route is she taking/are her classes during rush hour? That commute time is way too long.. is she going down Georgia Ave the entire time?

What route is she taking/are her classes during rush hour? That commute time is way too long.. is she going down Georgia Ave the entire time?

I have no clue about her route--I don't drive, and I've never gone to Georgetown :) However, she does tend to have to commute during rush hour b/c I can remember her saying that if she stays late to study in the law library it takes her less than half an hour to get home, vs an hour to go to class in the morning. Pretty sure she has a 9 or 10 am class so rush hour is pretty unavoidable

As a current Washington DC resident living a few blocks from SAIS, I highly recommend "Logan Circle east." (the further east you go the cheaper it gets) There are lots of group houses and small studio apartments for very similar prices to Woodly Park, with the added benefit of being able to bike or walk to SAIS.There are also a ton of ridiculously expensive options (corporate townhouse rentals, brand new condo/apartments) that will be out of any resonable grad student's budget, but if you know how to look you can find places between $1000 and $1300 in the safe areas (west of 10th street), and even cheaper if you go into the sometimes questionable areas east of 10th all the way to north capitol.

If you have a significant other (or are willing to build a flimsy barrier wall in a one bedroom), this is by far the best option. You can get a one bedroom on 13th south of Logan Circle for between $1400 - $1600 (usually including utitlities). And you can't beat the nieghborhood. 14th street has some of the best cafes, restaurants, and neighborhood feel, not to mention that you can walk to SAIS, Dupont, U st, and Chinatown.

Thank you for the tip dcenergygirl!

I just "google-walked" the 13th street, the neibourhood indeed looks very nice, albeit a little over my budget.

It seems for someone with a $700 budget+utilities, who dosesn't mind longer commune time as long as it doens not involve public transport interchange (e.g. metro line orange interchange to metro line red, or bus interchange to metro), but prefer a quiet, safe, and nice neighbourhood with retail facilities, DC does not present much choice. :(

I should probably start saving money...

I have no clue about her route--I don't drive, and I've never gone to Georgetown :) However, she does tend to have to commute during rush hour b/c I can remember her saying that if she stays late to study in the law library it takes her less than half an hour to get home, vs an hour to go to class in the morning. Pretty sure she has a 9 or 10 am class so rush hour is pretty unavoidable

Ah, this definitely makes sense. I have similar problems.. (I go to SIS), and if I leave at 7:30 for my 8:10 class, I actually sit through traffic more than if I leave at 7:45.. it's so bizarre. I arrive at the exact same time, so I tend to just leave at 7:45. It's that last bit of rush hour traffic leaving M street.

And even the metro is hell.. surprisingly it takes an hour to commute o.O and then you have to fight people to get on the train.

Thank you for the tip dcenergygirl!

I just "google-walked" the 13th street, the neibourhood indeed looks very nice, albeit a little over my budget.

It seems for someone with a $700 budget+utilities, who dosesn't mind longer commune time as long as it doens not involve public transport interchange (e.g. metro line orange interchange to metro line red, or bus interchange to metro), but prefer a quiet, safe, and nice neighbourhood with retail facilities, DC does not present much choice. :(

I should probably start saving money...

A $700 budget is going to be realllllllllllllly tough to manage, even with roomies. I think the cheapest I heard any of my friends paying was $900 for a studio, and he had to go through all the legal hoopla to get a rent-controlled apartment for that price, or 1K with roomies.

You definitely might have to switch metros, and if you don't mind that.. I would suggest looking as far out into VA that's still on the metro line, such as East/West Falls Church area, or Springfield.. which might have better options. Or areas that are kind of sketch, but as long as you're next to the metro aren't "that bad" like Takoma, Ft Totten (red lines), Capitol Hill area (which is not as nice as it sounds) in NE, or even way out there like Glenmont.

I will be at George Washington, so similar housing dilemma.

I am looking at getting a 1 bedroom apt. for me and my girlfriend in the Northern Virginia suburbs (Roslyn, Arlington, etc.) Rent seems to be more affordable, and as long as it is next to a metro the commute is actually shorter than living in some of the popular northern DC neighborhoods (Woodley, Cleveland, etc.), since Foggy Bottom is right across the river from VA.

Any suggestions on cool neighborhoods and areas to look? I am mostly concerned about not ending up in a suburban 2.5 kids + picket fence area, or in a undergrad party zone. Young professionals would be great...

Edited by MYRNIST

Umm...I don't know much about neighborhoods/affordability, but my friends (fellow young professionals) who live in NoVA are in the Arlington area. If you're in walking distance of an urban Metro station (Rosslyn, etc) you're not likely to be in a picket fence area.

I have posted this on another thread, but I disagree that you can't do $700/month with roommates. I lived with 2 roommates in Cap Hill/H Street and paid $700/month (without utilities) for a huge house. I have many friends who lived around Petworth/Georgia Avenue/Columbia Heights/NY Ave, etc who live in group homes and pay $700 or less per month.

It is definitely possible to pay under $700, but you will sacrifice either a) proximity to a Metro station or proximity to a more-traveled on line (such as Blue or Red) B) living in a quieter house with few roommates (I have heard of people paying $600/month and living with 3-4 other people) and/or d) upscale/safer neighborhood. I never minded living in the more "dodgy" parts of Capitol Hill, but I did try to ride my bike or take the bus home if I was heading back late at night. Many areas of DC, regardless of how "nice" they are, carry some risk for females walking alone at night. Minimizing the distance to your nearest bus stand, Metro stop, etc are ways to reduce this risk and give you an option for late-night home travel.

disitingrate, are you looking at literally sharing bedrooms with other people (4 people in a 2BR apartment)? I doubt you will find others willing to do that.

Personally, I HATE switching Metro lines. Living on the same line that I work/go to school on is very important for quality of life, I think. I would rather have a 40 minute metro commute on one line than have to switch lines. It's much easier for three reasons. First, I prefer to sit down and read/listen to a podcast for an extended period of time rather than hop on one train for 10 minutes, get off, switch platforms, wait, and get on another for 10 minutes. Second, track work on metros in DC is common, and relying on two lines to get to work increases your chance of getting caught in a delay, station closure, or other frustration. Third, the metro runs only every 10-20 minutes late at night. It's incredibly frustrating to wait on a platform for 15 minutes for your train, only to have to switch stations a few minutes later and possibly wait another 10 or so minutes. Just my thoughts :)

MYRNIST, I agree with a previous poster that anywhere near a metro station is going to be geared more towards younger professionals. Family/suburban neighborhoods usually have cars and single-family homes, whereas apartment complexes are crowded around Metro stations. If you live in Rosslyn you actually may be able to walk to Foggy Bottom, which I think would be terrific.

For those of you looking at NoVa, remember that taxes in Virginia are different (I believe higher?) than those in DC- just something to consider when you're looking at cost.

Edited by charlotte_asia

I lived in NE for a while in 2010. There are some sketchy parts, but some parts are really nice too. The two hassles were commuting and buying groceries. Overall though I much preferred it to my 6 months in a fancy chinatown condo, which, other than the convenience of location, was mostly a nightmare (mad expensive and crazy craigslist roommate).

If you have a significant other (or are willing to build a flimsy barrier wall in a one bedroom), this is by far the best option. You can get a one bedroom on 13th south of Logan Circle for between $1400 - $1600 (usually including utitlities). And you can't beat the nieghborhood. 14th street has some of the best cafes, restaurants, and neighborhood feel, not to mention that you can walk to SAIS, Dupont, U st, and Chinatown.

thanks for this dcenergygirl. My SO is in DC, looking for places. Are there any specific buildings that you know of? Would be very grateful if you could let me know!

thanks for this dcenergygirl. My SO is in DC, looking for places. Are there any specific buildings that you know of? Would be very grateful if you could let me know!

a few good buildings for couples in Logan circle near/on 13th and M st: Sutton Plaza, the belvedere, massachusetts house, the cambridge (this buidling actually will build sliding "walls" to divide a one bedroom into "two"), m street towers, mt vernon plaza

maybes: burke park (i think this place had bed bug problems and is pretty sketch, but maybe worth the research), 1210 mass apartments (these are brand new, not sure if they're out of grad school price range)

not in that neighborhood, but still good places to check out: castle manor and high view on 13 and clifton (just north of U street, really fun area, you can take the S2 from 16th street right down to SAIS)

on 16th near euclid: the dorchester house and the envoy, also easy 10 min bus ride to SAIS (also great location, walk to adams morgan, columbia heights, and u street)

Apartment management companies to check out are:

Bernstein

Borger

Keener

Yarmouth (capitol hill only)

this is also very helpful in researching neighborhoods: http://www.walkscore.com/DC/Washington_D.C.

confession: i kind of have a real estate obsession.

It is definitely possible to pay under $700, but you will sacrifice either a) proximity to a Metro station or proximity to a more-traveled on line (such as Blue or Red) B) living in a quieter house with few roommates (I have heard of people paying $600/month and living with 3-4 other people) and/or d) upscale/safer neighborhood.

How many bed room houses are these? Any different from what I said?

How many bed room houses are these? Any different from what I said?

Yes, in DC there are several neighborhoods with large, older houses with 4-5 bedrooms, one person per room. I know friends in Petworth/Georgia Avenue area who lived in group homes with 4 or so roommates. Sometimes you find people getting quite creative with turning a study or living room into a bedroom as well to cut down the cost of total rent per person.

In these houses everyone has their own room- the houses just have more bedrooms (and likely in less upscale neighborhods) so rent is lower per person. My friends living in 4-5 person homes each have their own bedrooms and pay anywhere from $600-800 per month including utilities. I do not think you will find anyone who is interested in sharing a bedroom, unless it is with a significant other.

Thank you charlotte_asia and dcenergygirl for your helpful local knowledge.

I was wondering have you heard of "International House of Washington DC" near Dupont Circle? It seems they have an option of 1300-1400 per month per room including 13 meals per week. Does this sound like a good deal compared with a similar and nice neighborhood like 13th street and Woodley?

tingschu, I don't know anything about the International House, but the location is terrific. Upon glancing at the website it looks like you would literally be sharing a room with someone else and have communal bathrooms-- like a college dorm I suppose. For the cost, it may be an ok deal.. it just depends on what you are looking for. If you were living in that area you would likely pay ~$1200 at minimum for a 3BR but you would have your own room in a much quieter, less occupied apartment (it would also be quite nice). If you lived further out- perhaps U Street area- you could pay more like $1000 for a room in a 2BR. (These are all rough estimates- take with a grain of salt). Utilities- internet, cable, electricity, etc- will run anywhere from $75-$150 a month per person in an average house.

If you are careful you can get by with eating on under $150-200/month (excluding eating out).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that for the location the price is good. Personally, I would rather live a little further out and not live in what is essentially a dorm. I don't think there's much of an upside to being a 5 minute walk from campus, as in undergrad. I would also not like to eat in a cafeteria/canteen and would save money by cooking for myself. But that's just me. If very close location, and not having to worry about preparing meals, is the most important factor to you, it's probably a good option.

tingschu, I don't know anything about the International House, but the location is terrific. Upon glancing at the website it looks like you would literally be sharing a room with someone else and have communal bathrooms-- like a college dorm I suppose. For the cost, it may be an ok deal.. it just depends on what you are looking for. If you were living in that area you would likely pay ~$1200 at minimum for a 3BR but you would have your own room in a much quieter, less occupied apartment (it would also be quite nice). If you lived further out- perhaps U Street area- you could pay more like $1000 for a room in a 2BR. (These are all rough estimates- take with a grain of salt). Utilities- internet, cable, electricity, etc- will run anywhere from $75-$150 a month per person in an average house.

If you are careful you can get by with eating on under $150-200/month (excluding eating out).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that for the location the price is good. Personally, I would rather live a little further out and not live in what is essentially a dorm. I don't think there's much of an upside to being a 5 minute walk from campus, as in undergrad. I would also not like to eat in a cafeteria/canteen and would save money by cooking for myself. But that's just me. If very close location, and not having to worry about preparing meals, is the most important factor to you, it's probably a good option.

Thank you charlotte_asia!

It seems from your calculation, 1300 for room and board per month is unavoidable, if one wants to live in a relatively safe and nice neighbourhood, one that's comparable to Dupont Circle. Budget wise, the two options are similar, so the big decision becomes: communal bath vs. private bath, dorm vs. house, prepared meals vs. cooking by myself, walking to campus vs. taking trains. Each option has two wins and two lose--now I am back to square one, what a wonderful world... :(

Thanks again for your help though! :)

Edited by tingschu

Tingschu, I would suggest expanding your search a little. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the Adams Morgan/Kalorama/U Street area, which is about a mile north of Dupont Circle--you can take a bus, bike or even walk especially if we have another extremely mild winter. I think you might be able to find a decent place there for less than your budget. Columbia Heights definitely is lower than that, but depending on the block it can be gentrified/not gentrified and it's also about 2 miles from Dupont--still busable using the 16th street line, but not really walkable. In all these areas there's a lot of nice apartment buildings going up to cater to all the young professionals moving into town, lots of nice restaurants/bars/shops.