Some Stats via History Progams!!

veilside

That Snuggie has really become a sensation! It's a good thing I'm not in marketing, because I really thought it would bomb.

It definitely has, if the amount of Snuggie spam I receive each day is any indication. Am I the only one getting that? I didn't expect it to take off either; I assumed, mistakenly it seems, that our old friend the "robe" had the market cornered. However, it now appears clear that there is a market for blanket-type material with sleeves that closes in the back, which is distinct from the market for blanket-type material with sleeves that closes in the front.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely has, if the amount of Snuggie spam I receive each day is any indication. Am I the only one getting that? I didn't expect it to take off either; I assumed, mistakenly it seems, that our old friend the "robe" had the market cornered. However, it now appears clear that there is a market for blanket-type material with sleeves that closes in the back, which is distinct from the market for blanket-type material with sleeves that closes in the front.

Yeah, I've never gotten Snuggie spam. Ever.

Is this a question for everyone, or just riss?

Just a guess to see if we get the same type of spam. Though I really don't get any spam now that I've switched over to Gmail. But my student e-mail address was barraged with spam for ED meds on a daily basis. Not to mention prescription drugs from Mexico (which I assume includes the former, as well).

Just a guess to see if we get the same type of spam. Though I really don't get any spam now that I've switched over to Gmail. But my student e-mail address was barraged with spam for ED meds on a daily basis. Not to mention prescription drugs from Mexico (which I assume includes the former, as well).

I'm not even sure where most of my spam comes from anymore; I've got my undergrad, law school, and a third former email address, all funneled to my "main" email. It does a pretty good job of filtering the spam, but I've been examining it more closely lately, given the fear that school emails could wind up filtered by mistake.

question for the brave people who have called- how exactly did you word yourself? I want to call a couple of my programs, but I don't want to seem rude.

This is how I did it:

"Hi, my name is XXXXXX, and I recently applied for the PhD program in history for the upcoming fall semester, and have a few questions for you"

then they'll say something like, "ok" or "what would you like to know?"

then....

"I was wondering if the graduate committee has finished reviewing application"

and

"How may applicants applied this year?"

and

"How many were for the XXXXXX field?"

and

"Do you have any idea when notifications will be sent out this year?"

....Hope this is at least a start for you. Good luck, and post whatever you find out.

I don't know if any of you applied to Harvard's History of American Civilization, but according to my inside source, all decisions have been made. Since basically the FOURTH of this month.

Either the admits aren't on here, are being extremely mum, or Harvard's sitting on the news. In which case: Bastards.

"Do you want an erection of steel?"

Misterpat, not particularly. ;)

And to anyone who might be interested, I found out today that the school I thought had lost my application did not, and they are forwarding it to the dept. for review and I'll hear in a few weeks. That is a huge weight off my shoulders.

I haven't noticed anyone else here who applied to Brandeis, but I spoke to a professor there who said they've received around seventy applications and will only be accepting three (eek!) this year, rather than their usual six or seven. I applied for American history, but I'm pretty sure these numbers were for the department as a whole.

Since, I have apparently offended somebody unknowingly, I will post the PSU stats here so everyone will know. This year we have received approximately 180 applications and we will be accepting 8. We have started sending out a few offer letters but I cannot even fathom a guess when the whole admissions process with be completed. In previous years, final letters have gone out as close to April 15th as we can manage. With us receiving so many applications per year and only admitting those few we can totally fund, the admissions process does tend to drag on longer than at other schools.

I also want to point out that it is not fair to judge or slander a person without walking a day in there shoes. Everyone has their opinion but should not pass judgement on another individual without knowing the whole story.

I'm a current PhD student in history at Penn State. Having gone through this process some years back, I understand the frustration of waiting to hear about admissions and funding. The current economic climate does not help this process at all either, which adds to the anxiety. However, I think it is worth pointing out a few things. First, as anyone in Penn State's history program will tell you, the graduate administrative assistant (Jenn Gilbert) is arguably one of the most helpful people at this university. Despite the huge amount of work that she is assigned, besides taking her own coursework, and besides coordinating major events (such as our recruitment weekend), she has always been available and willing to help when I have come down to ask a question, apply for a grant, coordinate funding, or just try to use the copier, etc. Yes, such things might be her job, but she always does them extremely well and efficiently and has always been willing to take the time to help out us grad students. Beyond her excellent and professional performance at work, she has also gone out of her way to help grad students out beyond departmental matters and has helped people move, fed them, housed them, arranged wedding details, arranged travel, listen to people vent about life's frustrations, and a plethora of other similar things above and beyond the call of duty.

Indeed, I have never known her to be remotely rude and I am quite shocked that a prospective student would accuse her of that in a public forum such as this, without ever having any interaction (I presume) beyond a telephone call. It shows a lack of professional courtesy towards a dedicated member of our department and I assure you, it is not a welcome attitude. The department runs on the difficult, demanding, and often tedious but necessary work of its administrative assistants and they are appreciated by us grad students and the faculty above measure. Be patient and don't alienate the people who, should you be accepted to our program, will work tirelessly to help you earn your degree and find success as a researcher and instructor.

Jenn,

I appologize if I have now, in turn offended you... I'm not sure if you have read through this whole thread, but when I was called out on my original statement that I was treated rudely by PSU, I stated that it appeared that you were already in a bad mood before the conversation even began... If I was wrong, and I humbly feel that I am, I sincerely appologize.... From a prospective's perception, this is a very hectic and trying time, and perhaps one gets hyper-sensitive to anything to do with a prospective school... In my case, when I called perhaps you were not upset, just busy, but in my frantic and anxious mind I perceived it as rude... So for what it's worth, I am sorry. I recant my accusation against PSU, and especially you personally.

Quite frankly, I've been not myself lately... nerves getting the better of me.. and I never intended to hurt anyone, so if I did, yet again, sorry. I should be OK once this whole waiting period is finally over. :(

Your apology is accepted and I just want to point out to everyone that this is a PUBLIC forum and not only grad students read and post to the forums. You never know where staff may be..which includes facebook, myspace, etc., so please be careful of what you may say and who you may offend. When applying to a graduate school and paying the application fees, you do not want to offend one that you may be working with for the next 5-7 years of your life and whose primary job is to direct you and help you along your journey through graduate school, and also shoot yourself in the foot by ranting on public spaces. Those secretaries being called for stats, whose job it is to give out that type of information, not only have the added stresses of keeping track of 100's of applicants and getting acceptance and rejection letters out on a timely basis, etc. but then have the added volume of calls of nervous applicants on top of their usual job duties. Please be understanding and realize our side of things as well.

Good luck to everyone in their application process and I wish you much luck on all your future endeavors.

Your apology is accepted and I just want to point out to everyone that this is a PUBLIC forum and not only grad students read and post to the forums. You never know where staff may be..which includes facebook, myspace, etc., so please be careful of what you may say and who you may offend. When applying to a graduate school and paying the application fees, you do not want to offend one that you may be working with for the next 5-7 years of your life and whose primary job is to direct you and help you along your journey through graduate school, and also shoot yourself in the foot by ranting on public spaces. Those secretaries being called for stats, whose job it is to give out that type of information, not only have the added stresses of keeping track of 100's of applicants and getting acceptance and rejection letters out on a timely basis, etc. but then have the added volume of calls of nervous applicants on top of their usual job duties. Please be understanding and realize our side of things as well.

Good luck to everyone in their application process and I wish you much luck on all your future endeavors.

You are awesome.

it would be very gracious of Harvard's AmCiv program to notify SOMEONE. i mean, really. anyone? especially if decisions were made literally weeks ago. sigh. i'm going to go check my email a thousand times a day until someone hears SOMETHING.

m

For real. If decisions are done and done, what's the benefit to holding up the show? I know Am Stud folks aren't nearly as numerous as the history people on here, but I have a hard time believing that no one has been notified and posted anything here. It makes me paranoid. If they behave as they have in previous years, people should be getting phone calls basically RIGHT NOW. I'm going nuts.