JHU SAIS

I decided to do the HNC/SAIS 5-semester option a couple weeks ago. When I signed up for pre-term last week I received an email saying that the admin office would send instructions about my JHU user id and login. I haven't received that info yet, but maybe it will be sent out in early May after the deadline to submit the matriculation fee.

There is a Facebook group for the entering class at the Hopkins Nanjing Center. It's called "Hopkins-Nanjing Center12-13" -- http://www.facebook.com/groups/287106761372868/

I e-mailed them about it yesterday and just received an e-mail saying I submitted my "reservation form" for preterm, but that once I get my JHU user id and login in May (any day now?), I can officially enroll. I'm not sure if the e-mail itself means much, might just be a formality. Either way, it looks like we have to enroll in the next few weeks too.

probably one of the most amazing posts i've seen to date. if they say yes, you must show photos!

My fiancee thought it up. We can't really afford a super fancy place for the wedding but since SAIS has been a place to educate my family for two generations she thought it was a cool idea. We decided on July 4th 2013 for our wedding date. She is applying to SAIS next year to join me since she is getting pretty tired of working at Accenture.

I will doing the Preterm in DC. I have to submit my preterm reservation and I am debating about Micro or Macroeconomics. Since I don't have a math background at all, should I take micro because I will have a month of less distractions? I have heard this is the harder of the two. Any suggestions?

I will doing the Preterm in DC. I have to submit my preterm reservation and I am debating about Micro or Macroeconomics. Since I don't have a math background at all, should I take micro because I will have a month of less distractions? I have heard this is the harder of the two. Any suggestions?

I think you're supposed to take micro before macro...

Has anyone received additional information on the JHU user id? I'm also trying to figure out when we'll get access to the online math prep. I'm guessing the Preterm email address is overloaded with questions since they've been especially slow in responding to my emails.

I wish they had prepared a timeline and checklist with this type of information. I keep thinking they somehow left me off their distribution list but based on this thread, it seems a number of people have unanswered questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email on May 16th with my JHU user ID (they called it the "JHED LID"). The email has instructions on how to log in and set a password. Now I can log into https://isis.jhu.edu/ to access info about events, financial aid, registration, etc., and log into http://my.jhu.edu to access my @jhu.edu email account.

Did other SAIS '14 students get this email?

Next up is receiving the tuition bill and pre-registering for classes in July (at least for students at the Hopkins-Nanjing Center, I'm not sure about SAIS DC/BC classes).

• 2 weeks later...

wantgrad - thanks, that's quite helpful.

I finally did get my ID for logging into ISIS & accessing my JHU email account. They also sent out info on the math prep today. Still waiting on official word for how to register/pay the deposit for DC pre-term (though I did some exploring on ISIS and discovered how I expect they'll tell us to register).

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive a dying thread but I have a question about taking two classes during pre-term.

I have read the previous comments about this and think I can handle it. I majored in economics, took econometrics, and got As in all my classes.

However, I saw that they offer accelerated micro-economics during pre-term. This intrigued me but I haven't heard anyone else talk about the accelerated class.

So my questions are:

1. Why take accelerated microeconomics aside from learning more about the mathematics underpinning economics?

2. Is taking both accelerated microeconomics and macroeconomics a bad idea? For reference I do hope to have time to meet people and socialize during pre-term.

3. Someone mentioned that the professor Matthijs is amazing and he is teaching microeconomics this summer. Would those who have taken his class recommend doing microeconomics with him over taking accelerated with professor Arroyo?

Any insight is appreciated on this.

Thanks.

Edited by JollyJim