JHU SAIS

I also just sent in my matriculation deposit. Very exciting :D Anyone know when we will have access to the resources for students? I am eager to read the course evaluations for some classes, etc.

Also, this was brought up in the open house thread but since I'm already posting here I'll just ask here. Does anyone do 4 classes + language + internship? Or are language class and internship pretty much mutually exclusive? This would obviously be very time consuming, but if one was willing to not have a life otherwise would it be possible? I don't have a language now so I need to take one, but since I don't have any relevant work experience to my areas of interest (just a year teaching in China) I feel like semester internships would be very useful.

I also just sent in my matriculation deposit. Very exciting :D Anyone know when we will have access to the resources for students? I am eager to read the course evaluations for some classes, etc.

Also, this was brought up in the open house thread but since I'm already posting here I'll just ask here. Does anyone do 4 classes + language + internship? Or are language class and internship pretty much mutually exclusive? This would obviously be very time consuming, but if one was willing to not have a life otherwise would it be possible? I don't have a language now so I need to take one, but since I don't have any relevant work experience to my areas of interest (just a year teaching in China) I feel like semester internships would be very useful.

Yes. I know people who are doing this. You will be living in a world of pain, but it is doable if you're willing to accept that.

Definitely doable, I know plenty who are.

Regarding taking two classes during Preterm.... the website says you must have taken intermediate Micro and Macro with B-s or above in both. Does this apply to Principles of Micro and Micro, or do the classes need to be labeled Intermediate Micro and Macro? (I'm confused because the SAIS classes are intermediate level, so why would you need to take them again if you have already taken intermediate micro/macro and not the waiver exam?)

Regarding taking two classes during Preterm.... the website says you must have taken intermediate Micro and Macro with B-s or above in both.

Looking through the FAQ from last year, it looks as though you just need to meet one of the following criteria to be allowed to do both at the same time:

• Majored in math, economics, engineering, physics or chemistry

• Minimum quantitative GRE score of 750 out of 800 or quantitative GMAT score of 49 out of 60;

• "B-" or better in an intermediate-level microeconomic and/or intermediate-level macroeconomic course.

Sounds to me like they're just trying to prevent anyone without a strong quant background or prior knowledge of econ from taking both at once. Students that haven't studied econ for years are probably the only ones who'd opt to retake intermediate level courses.

Edited by Bolognese

Looking through the FAQ from last year, it looks as though you just meet one of the following criteria to be allowed to do both at the same time:

• Majored in math, economics, engineering, physics or chemistry

• Minimum quantitative GRE score of 750 out of 800 or quantitative GMAT score of 49 out of 60;

• "B-" or better in an intermediate-level microeconomic and/or intermediate-level macroeconomic course.

Right, the website says you must meet at least one of the criteria listed. I do not think I qualify, because the micro and macro classes I took were Principles of Micro and Macro, not Intermediate Micro and Intermediate Macro. I just wanted to confirm this with a current student.

No big deal if I can't... getting one class out of the way will be fine.

Edited by charlotte_asia

Good luck with that... I confirmed my place, and sent in the deposit like two weeks ago, but I haven't heard from them ever since.

Edited by tingschu

Right, the website says you must meet at least one of the criteria listed. I do not think I qualify, because the micro and macro classes I took were Principles of Micro and Macro, not Intermediate Micro and Intermediate Macro. I just wanted to confirm this with a current student.

No big deal if I can't... getting one class out of the way will be fine.

If you really want to do it, talk to the pre-term people - they may let you do it regardless of the requirements.

I am 90% decided on SAIS, but I just can't shake the feeling that they aren't as willing to help out their students as other programs. It seems like other schools have been very accommodating and willing to talk to me about what I'm looking to get out of the program, while SAIS kind of seems to have an attitude of take-it-or-leave-it and has been totally inflexible. Can somebody make me feel better about this so I can put down my deposit?

Thanks!

rose, don't know if it helps, but that's the feeling I got when I talked to them as well. So it's probably not personal. Of the schools I've talked to, SAIS was on the bottom of the helpful list. Then again, the other programs I got in are smaller and therefore easier to handle. I know I'd be going nuts at my job if 300 people were calling me and making requests, and could handle a 100 people easier.

rose1, that's funny, I felt SAIS was very helpful. That said, I had Georgetown Government in comparison, which I felt like I had to drag basic information out of, like classes I could take and when financial aid would be available. I also didn't contact SAIS directly, but rather had a lot of contact with friends and friends of friends I already knew who were at SAIS or recently graduated.

I definitely found Tufts and Elliot more forward in sending information, current students initiating contact, etc. But I still was very satisfied by how I was treated by SAIS as an admitted student-- the online chats, the clear info about financial aid, etc.

I get the sense from nearly every student with whom I've spoken that the camaraderie, morale, and cohesiveness among students is very high. I have to think that some of that is as a result of a very positive experience while at SAIS (and, by extension, support/help from the school and faculty). This was a definitely a factor I considered while comparing SAIS with other programs.

Just some thoughts, albeit a bit scattered. Maybe a current student could provide more substantial advice!

SAIS posted on their admissions blog that they were going to start an incoming student facebook in May once everybody has put down their deposit. I'm also eager for a facebook group. I'm still a member of the facebook groups other schools have started and I'm jealous they're all getting to know each other, sharing city/housing advice and making plans to meet up over the summer in various parts of the world!

Somebody should start a SAIS '14 Facebook group. Especially next week after everybody has sent in their deposits.

Not what you were looking for, I know, but I started one for those of us attending the SAIS Bologna Center in 2012-2013: https://www.facebook...45542292161204/

Do request to join if you'll be in Bologna in the fall !

Edited by Bolognese

SAIS posted on their admissions blog that they were going to start an incoming student facebook in May once everybody has put down their deposit. I'm also eager for a facebook group. I'm still a member of the facebook groups other schools have started and I'm jealous they're all getting to know each other, sharing city/housing advice and making plans to meet up over the summer in various parts of the world!

SAIS has an admissions blog?! Oh my...this is the first time I heard of it.

I am also looking forward to the facebook group for 2014 SAISers--will surely join when it is ready.

I decided to do the HNC/SAIS 5-semester option a couple weeks ago. When I signed up for pre-term last week I received an email saying that the admin office would send instructions about my JHU user id and login. I haven't received that info yet, but maybe it will be sent out in early May after the deadline to submit the matriculation fee.

There is a Facebook group for the entering class at the Hopkins Nanjing Center. It's called "Hopkins-Nanjing Center12-13" -- http://www.facebook.com/groups/287106761372868/

Hi guys -

So I am leaving my decision until the last minute and wanted to know your thoughts. I want to focus on media development and I guess AFP, and am deciding between SAIS and SIPA. I have to say, I really loved SAIS when I visited for the open house, but I wanted to get your thoughts on how good SAIS is for careers outside the DC-specific norm. I am also flat out scared of econ, which I haven't taken since freshman year of college eight years ago, and wanted to get a sense of how comfortable people with little prior experience were after the online classes and pre-term. Or for the new admits, how that played in your decision.

Thanks very much! Will be having another long day trying to figure this out.

Don't let the econ requirements scare you. Quite frankly, they wouldn't have let you in if they didn't think you had the natural aptitude to pick it up. Before SAIS, I had only taken one class in Econ (and it was more sociology than economy) and I hadn't taken calculus since senior year of HS. The DVDs they give you are great for refreshing your math. You have to keep in mind that the goal of SAIS isn't to force you to become a practitioner in economics *unless of course, you want to) but rather to give you the foundation necessary to apply economic concepts to whatever career you end up pursuing, because your knowledge of those concepts will make you much more valuable to your employer.

Of the economic courses I've taken so far (Micro, Macro, Trade, Stats, Econometrics, Public Sector Econ, International Financial Markets), the only one that has legitimately kicked my ass is Econometrics, but it's an optional class and I should've known my weaknesses before going into it. Micro was fairly heavy on the math but the TAs and professor were absolutely top notch.

I should say, however, that enough people struggled with Micro in BC this fall that they had to offer an additional Spring session, but I'm not in any position to say if that was a reflection on the professor or the students.

So maybe this is the ultimate in signal in lameness but does anyone here think SAIS would allow me to hold my wedding ceremony at the Nitze building?? lol

Edited by IR_Lion

So maybe this is the ultimate in signal in lameness but does anyone here think SAIS would allow me to hold my wedding ceremony at the Nitze building?? lol

probably one of the most amazing posts i've seen to date. if they say yes, you must show photos!