So what's your backup plan?

illinoisellie

Okay, fine. So this topic's a little cynical, a little pessimistic. (I like to call it realism :lol: )

Did you apply to any backup schools? If so, would you actually want to go to those if you did get in?

I applied to three backups. One I really don't know if I want to go there...even if I did get in... :shock:

Do you have a plan ready if you don't get in?

I'm applying to a couple research jobs - hopefully then I can stay on track for future graduate school opportunities...

What if I don't get the jobs either?

I can always go back and work for McDonalds (my first job). :lol:

I applied to two masters programs and one ph.d that I'd consider a "backup" - as in, I wouldn't go there by choice. One of the MA programs is really great and I'd be happy to attend, so that wouldn't be the end of the whole world.

If I get rejected across the board, I'm thinking culinary school. It's the only other thing I love.

Do you have a plan ready if you don't get in?

No. No I don't.

I just know the longer I'm not in my field, the less I know about it, and the less qualified I become. I cannot countenance not working in my field the rest of my life, so I really don't know what I would/will do. Unfortunately your pessimism is my likely reality.

Well, the closest thing I had to a backup plan was the PhD program here where I'm finishing up my MA...but they already told me to go away. :oops:

So if the other 8 programs I'm applying to also tell me to take I hike I suppose I will probably move somewhere new and work on getting better GRE scores since they are now, well, astronomically low and the only really weak part of my app.

Now the only question is where would I go? I have fallen in love with the northeast-where I've been for my MA-but don't have any draw to a particular place. Suggestions?

My backup plan may just end up being a bottle of whiskey..... :wink:

No, I don't have back up schools........well, I mean, had some offers overseas so I guess I could go back there, but I really would like to stay at home in the US.... I'll find out this week if this is will be an issue.

I will patent my stage name and become a performer.

I like it! Can us forumers get discounted tickets ;)

But anyway, I no longer do backup schools. I only applied to schools that I would actually want to attend. If I get turned down for them all, I will stay at my job. I am actually contemplating whether I should stay longer anyway.

But anyway, I no longer do backup schools. I only applied to schools that I would actually want to attend. If I get turned down for them all, I will stay at my job. I am actually contemplating whether I should stay longer anyway.

You're so lucky that that's an option for you. Personally, and to paraphrase Weird Al, I'd rather jump naked into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades than stay in retail any longer.

My backup plan may just end up being a bottle of whiskey..... :wink:

No, I don't have back up schools........well, I mean, had some offers overseas so I guess I could go back there, but I really would like to stay at home in the US.... I'll find out this week if this is will be an issue.

TNK: I like this plan.

I have chewed over teaching high school (I'll have a Masters...and I have a teaching certificate from my dual undergrad major) or taking the LSATs and trying to get into international law programs. I've also considered trying again next year or extending the Master's program for another semester while I get my act together.

Or maybe I'll just join the traveling circus...or become a cross country trucker. At this point either of those actually beats the heck out of where I'm sitting...since I'm staring down the barrel at 3 rejects and no acceptances.

Well, the closest thing I had to a backup plan was the PhD program here where I'm finishing up my MA...but they already told me to go away. :oops:

So if the other 8 programs I'm applying to also tell me to take I hike I suppose I will probably move somewhere new and work on getting better GRE scores since they are now, well, astronomically low and the only really weak part of my app.

Now the only question is where would I go? I have fallen in love with the northeast-where I've been for my MA-but don't have any draw to a particular place. Suggestions?

RiseandFall: I heard that they don't like you to get your PhD where you got your Master's...they call it "academic incest "at my university :roll:

I'm studio arts major, in painting, so gallery shows are my publications, so I'm going to start hitting the streets and getting as many of them as I can. I'm also going to try to get some curatorial experience by setting up some shows with people I know who are making the art. and start doing research and studying for the GRE. (You don't need it for most MFA programs, its all portfolio.) Then, I'm going to use my current school's resources to get a summer internship. I will also work on strengthening my portfolio. When fall comes, I'll apply to art history and museum studies programs in addition to the studio arts programs and broaden my options. I'll also try to get involved with teaching at some community programs on a part time basis. If allthis doesn't get me in, it will just be the exciting start in my chosen career which pays nothing. Anyone want to buy my BFA?

One of my schools is poorly ranked and another not an accredited school in my field (the programme is accredited, though) but I wouldn't call them backup schools. I could do the things I want to there, and I'm not confident enough to describe either as safeties.

In the case of 100% rejection, I'll do some combination of travel/community development volunteering/research job for a year or two. Hopefully, I can find a job matching my interests. I've had a lot of research jobs in completely random areas, but in doing my masters this year I have discovered how much better it is to work on the things that interest me. If I have to, I'll work for free for this privilige, and do retail/hospitality to eat.

RiseandFall: I heard that they don't like you to get your PhD where you got your Master's...they call it "academic incest "at my university :roll:

Yeah. I'm aware of that. They had 1 spot open for their MA students and I was not the best fit (hence why it was a backup plan). I'm not really into incest anyway. It does still feel like getting dumped though.

I'm getting my Hail-Mary Master's application together. I am also strongly considering trying to pick up a teaching certificate.

I was optimistic and applied to one back-up PhD program (which given how horrific the application process has been with them I'm no longer sure that's a good place to go) and was planning a different back-up Master's (which I decided, in a fit of optimistic laziness, not to complete).

I thought about staying at Undergrad for an additional year and trying to double major, but I am tired of starving. I love my field, but I've accepted that I can live and be happy and still be smart even without the PhD. My goal is to be living above poverty level in the next three years.

With that said- I am currently lighting incense to the great and magnificent Univ. of Vermont!

My top choice is my undergraduate alma mater (I dont' have an MS), because there is a lot of research going on in my area of interest, and I found a professor who is willing to take me on. He said he'd talk to the admissions committee (he's the chair of the graduate program) but I haven't heard back from him since we met in person, so now I'm sweating bullets O_o;

I was told it was a bad idea to go back to the same school for my Ph.D, but I figure since I attended the School of Engineering and I would now be a part of the Comp. Sci. department the "academic incest" factor is mitigated at least a little.

I really really really need this; I can't imagine what I'll do if I don't get into grad school. I'm not sure I can survive at my company for another year... :?

My real backup plan would be to reapply to my current University for a department here that I know would let me in. However, in that case I might as well flush my academic career down the toilet so I probably wouldn't bother.

My more likely backup option, if I am completely rejected from all Universities, is to go home. There I'd help open the bar my sister is working on. I mean, it's her plan but I can make good money managing the joint. And I can drink until I'm 60 for 'free'... It's not much but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. :|

You're so lucky that that's an option for you. Personally, and to paraphrase Weird Al, I'd rather jump naked into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades than stay in retail any longer.

hahaha.... Wierd Al! Totally cool.

So if I don't get into grad school or get a job - I'd definitely consider being a Wierd Al groupie. :lol:

or perhaps I can stick my hand inside a blender and turn it on....

My plan is to start the hellish job application process all over again. Once I applied to 50 different jobs in a row and heard back from none. It was very, very sad.

But I can't start the process until I find out the results from the grad school. If the gods of fortune decides to have the grad school accept me, then I can apply to various grad assistant jobs on campus. If not...then...yeah. Craigslist, anyone?

Unfortunately your pessimism is my likely reality.

Very well put. I'm in the same boat. I might try to get a research job or teach undergraduate courses somewhere. But I think I'll be a bit jaded for a couple of months if I wipe out with all my apps. I dont see myself saying C'est la vie and carrying on immediately.

My plan is to start the hellish job application process all over again. Once I applied to 50 different jobs in a row and heard back from none. It was very, very sad.

But I can't start the process until I find out the results from the grad school. If the gods of fortune decides to have the grad school accept me, then I can apply to various grad assistant jobs on campus. If not...then...yeah. Craigslist, anyone?

Oh yeah, it's awful. Worse than grad school apps, in terms of effort if not cost.

I applied to what I thought of as one backup school, although a lot of people with PhDs who I've talked to lately assume one of my top 3 is a backup :/