Keeping in touch with faculty at declined school.

MakeYourself

I recently declined an offer from a school, however, during my visit at the school, I met with a faculty member (who was not my POI) that I really got along with. We had many similar research interests and I actually got really excited talking to him about potential projects we could collaborate on.

Would it be out of line for me to contact him to let him know that I accepted an offer at a different school but that I am still interested in possibly collaborating with him in the future? I feel kind of uncomfortable doing this because the POI at that school who I rejected went out of his way to try to get me to come to that school (we met personally on 3 different occasions and had 2 phone conversations, and emailed back and forth constantly for about 2 weeks while I was making decisions). Is it just nonsense for me to feel awkward about this? I just don't want to sound like "hey, I rejected the school cause I didn't want to work with the POI, but I really like you so we should still keep in touch". I feel like if word got out to the POI that he would perceive me as being disrespectful? Or do you think he probably won't care?

Thanks!

If you can reasonably see your research being applicable to the POI at the other school, then I recommend keeping in touch or at least sending them a message saying how you hope to meet and work together one day. During this application season, I found that academia is a small world (smaller than I originally thought). A lot of the POIs from various programs had worked together in the past and since (at the PhD level) research is rather specialized, it is likely that I will meet with these professors at conferences (at the very least). These POIs could also be potential employers in the future. All in all, I don't think it would become problematic if you said something like "Even though I have decided to attend another program, I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your willingness to talk with me about X University. I found our conversation very useful and helpful. I hope that one day we can meet each other at X conference and perhaps someday we will be able to work together."

Good luck!

It would definitely NOT be out of line. Do it and be polite. Then, at conferences, try to have coffee/beer with that person so you can keep in touch with one another and be up to date on research and that sort of thing.

I had the same thing happen to me. I was rejected from a school but I really clicked with one faculty member, and he even helped me write my research proposal for my NSF GFRP application. I emailed him saying that I hoped our paths would cross again in the future and he responded that he very well thinks that they would! I definitely think you should send an email.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use