My chances of getting into a PhD I/O program?

enchanted24

Hello,

I'm sure you're sick of these sorts of posts but I really would like some opinions on my chances of actually getting into a PhD program in I/O psychology, or if I should apply to a masters program instead.

I have the summer and one more semester left and I want to apply in the fall.

I am currently finishing a full, IRB approved honors thesis. I did everything, the whole process of designing a study start to finish, data collection and analysis.

I am working with a Social Psychology professor on two different research projects. One is a survey based study, the other is a rigorous experimental study. He says that we should have data collected by the end of the summer and he says we will present it somewhere and that it will most likely be published. (I hope it is published in time, because I want to apply next semester).

I've also done work with another professor on a a bibliography of psychology. This wasn't anything experimental though, it was mainly book work.

I'm also involved in the Psi Chi research group at my school and we are about to start a project. I don't think it will be finished by the time I graduate though.

Here is the not so good things are that I made a C in stats the first time I took it (really bad semester) and I foolishly took it immediately after that, in the summer which was nightmare cram session because the course was only a month in summer school and only made a B.

I also made a B in my experimental research methods course. Ugh.

I also took a course in computerized statistics later and made an A. I've been told by professors that this could help.

Ovearall GPA: 3.58

Psychology GPA: 3.67

(I'm most likely going to get a 4.0 this semester so they should go up slightly.)

I don't take the GRE until July so I don't have scores yet.

Any advice, input, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hey--

Great job on the honours thesis, it's good experience regardless of how it works out. Doing two projects is even better. I have no idea whether you're competitive for an IO program because lots depends on your letters and advisor fit, but I wanted to address this comment: "[My advisor] says that we should have data collected by the end of the summer and he says we will present it somewhere and that it will most likely be published. (I hope it is published in time, because I want to apply next semester)."

Not to be a killjoy but your prof shouldn't promise these things before the data are collected. It's like the guy on a first date who's talking about getting married and having kids! First, what if the data don't work out? A reasonable expectation is that 1/3 of studies will "work". Second, depending on where you submit the paper, in social psych it will take 2-18 months to be accepted, even assuming a best case scenario where they accept it without requiring more data.

In sum, don't expect anything to be published by the time you apply. You can still tak about the project and your role in your statements, even if it's not published. This publication lag is one reason why few undergrads have real journal publications.

yea if you are applying this fall and don't have data yet, there is no chance it can be published then. At most a poster presentation.

Stats and experimental methods are very important courses, IMO. Also, GRE is also very important for I/O. I/O more quant focused than some other fields. Bottom line, the want someone who demonstrates that she/he can do researcher. This is through courses, research experience, and quantitative proficiency.