Even worth applying...?

hbeels

I'm in my senior year of my undergraduate, and I'm looking to apply to graduate school for Fall 2013.

I'm attending a 4-year public university that doesn't really have a reputation in the field--it's a pretty small department, rarely sends students to grad school, and some of the professors aren't very involved in the field.

I'm graduating with a 3.7(ish), am a pretty decent writer, and have a couple good reccomendations in my back pocket--but considering the tendency to recruit from larger, more well-known schools, is it really even worth it for me to put the time and fees into applying to the more prestigious schools?

Also, coming from a small department, I'm more accustomed to a small-school feel, congenial colleagues, and not a high sense of competition.

Any thoughts?

Provided you score well on your GREs and write a good, focused SOP, I don't see any reason to restrict yourself from applying wherever your best matches are- whether prestigious high ranking schools or reputable schools without such high rankings. I would advise against applying solely to top-tier schools just for the brand and instead focus on locating the best programs with faculty and ongoing research that match your own interests. I highly doubt top-tier schools will reject you because you aren't already working under a well known professor in an Ivy, but they will most definitely reject you if your interests won't add something to their program.

Just as a note from my own experience- I came from a 4 year, private, religious affiliated school with around 1200 students total, including part timers. None of my professors had done any major research in the field since their own dissertations (I've found a total of 2 papers my UG advisor wrote over the course of 30+ years), but taught me well and we got along amazingly and I got absolutely glowing recommendations from them. I didn't apply to any top-10 schools, but will be going to a sound program in a good school with which I'm very satisfied :)

I'm in my senior year of my undergraduate, and I'm looking to apply to graduate school for Fall 2013.

I'm attending a 4-year public university that doesn't really have a reputation in the field--it's a pretty small department, rarely sends students to grad school, and some of the professors aren't very involved in the field.

I'm graduating with a 3.7(ish), am a pretty decent writer, and have a couple good reccomendations in my back pocket--but considering the tendency to recruit from larger, more well-known schools, is it really even worth it for me to put the time and fees into applying to the more prestigious schools?

Also, coming from a small department, I'm more accustomed to a small-school feel, congenial colleagues, and not a high sense of competition.

Any thoughts?

Go for it if you're ready to commit to it. I've heard of some adcoms who really place a lot of weight on connections, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

Don't worry too much about your school. I came from a similar environment - not prestigious, small, doesn't send many students to grad schools. I did have an advisor who's young and fairly involved in the field, but actually I didn't get into the schools that he has contacts at. However, my GPA, GRE, recs, SOP and writing sample were all strong. One prof I spoke with recently at a school I was accepted to told me I beat out students from very prestigious schools, including Harvard.

I can't speak to history programs, but I can tell you that I saw quite a few people on interviews and accepted students weekends at prestigious schools who were coming from smaller schools that didn't have a reputation. I think they had a burden placed on them to demonstrate they were good and ambitious, but that wasn't through having a 4.0 or spectacular GPA. It was through showing a dedication to your studies and tenacity to search out unique experiences in the field. I say spend the next year doing something interesting but related to your grad school dreams and apply. You are already in great shape minus the GRE!

Don't let your UG institution stop you from applying! I am currently wrapping up my BA at a public university and, like yours, mine rarely sends students to grad school (except through its own programs). Additionally, while I wouldn't say that my professors are not involved in the current debates, they are not the historians who get the most attention.

Still, I decided to apply to grad school because it was the path I envisioned for myself even before I finished my freshman year here. I applied to twelve schools, got admitted to seven, and had tuition+stipend offers at four.

My advice is to extensively reserach particular professors that you wish to work with. That way, you can apply to work with a professor rather than applying to a school because of its name. I had far greater success when I focused in my SoP about my desire to work with a particular individual rather than when I focused on the resources of the program/university. Catch the eye of a particular professor with your application and you'll find that it's nice to have someone fighting for you from the inside!

Edited by grlu0701

you should definitely still apply. make sure you apply to terminal MA programs as well as combined MA/PhD programs. you can search the threads on here for more information on the distinction between the two.

if there is a prof in your undergrad who is involved in your subfield, latch onto that person now. their connections may not get you into grad school, but you'll want them to read over your statement of purpose and writing sample and ask them to help you refine it so you increase your chances of admission. it is not impossible at all to get into a great PhD program from an unknown public school. you just have to learn the language that admissions committees are speaking. a prof that has their pulse on their field will be able to help you do this.

you should definitely still apply. make sure you apply to terminal MA programs as well as combined MA/PhD programs.

yeah, I that's what I'm planning on doing as of now... thanks for the advice, everyone!