If you have not heard back by now does that mean your out??

swider03

I applied for my phd in chemistry and have heard back from 3 of the 10 schools. I have contacted the other seven schools while one told me i was wait listed the other 6 told me decisions are still being made. Also i have seen acceptances and rejections at all these schools on here so does this mean Im out but there waiting to tell me??

Edited by swider03

You're probably on their unofficial wait-lists. At least that is my best guess if they have already sent out acceptances/rejections. They don't hold applications if they aren't considering them... at least I hope not.

Some schools are quite rude and won't even bother letting you know you've been rejected. Last year when I went through the graduate application cycle (for chemistry), I didn't hear back from 4 schools... only until after I called them did they let me know I was rejected. If you bring in your own funding you will probably get bumped up from this "still deciding" zone to accepted.

Good luck, and if all else fails you can try again next year. I took a year off and was accepted to many schools that rejected me the year before after improving my application.

There's still one I'm waiting to hear back from too. I really shouldn't be holding out though. I got into a program with excellent funding whereas the one on which I am waiting at best would only fund my second year. Still... I can't move on!

Swider03, it's also possible that admissions to some of your schools are very POI-dependent. In these schools there might be a POI that really wants you, but will only accept you if the POI's pending proposal is approved by NSF or some other organization (so that he/she can have funding to support you). If that is the case, then you might have to wait even longer, maybe even until June, or whenever the funding agency replies back to the faculty. I've even heard stories of some professors not accepting students until early August (hearing back from the NSF or other funding organizations about pending proposals are independent of the graduate school's April 15 admission deadlines).

Edited by FoggyAnhinga