UK Degree to US PhD

Rpxp

Hi,

I've been lurking for a few weeks, some great discussions on here.

I am doing my undergrad in engineering at a strong UK university. I graduate this year with a BA, and will then commence a taught Master's in engineering at Oxford.

My aim is to pursue a top PhD programme preferably in the US, so come next academic year, I will be applying to several US institutions (as well as UK ones).

My question is, for someone who is interested in a career in academia, would US universities have expected me to pursue a research Master's rather than a taught one?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Rpxp

My question is, for someone who is interested in a career in academia, would US universities have expected me to pursue a research Master's rather than a taught one?

When applying for a PhD program in the US, you will also be competing against applicants who only have a Bachelor's degree. Those students may have done undergraduate research, and a few of them may have done an honors degree with a required thesis, but it's not required. You basically get a fresh start when you start a PhD program, so you should be fine if you have a generally strong academic portfolio.

Thanks.

Since I want to apply for PhD programmes during my Master's, I will be asking my new professors for recommendations pretty early on. This is one of my concerns...how sound is it to start at a different institution, and after only a few months, expect my supervisors to write strong recs (not to mention that I will have an incomplete grade and no new research experience)?

Edited by Rpxp

...My aim is to pursue a top PhD programme preferably in the US...My question is, for someone who is interested in a career in academia, would US universities have expected me to pursue a research Master's rather than a taught one?

In "top" U.S. PhD programs in STEM fields, research experience matters more than any other component of a PhD application, and an applicant in a master's degree program will be expected to have more research experience than an applicant in a bachelor's degree program. This same logic is used by many national fellowships, like NSF, where applicants are divided into pools to compete against those at the same phase in their graduate educations.

In "top" U.S. PhD programs in STEM fields, research experience matters more than any other component of a PhD application, and an applicant in a master's degree program will be expected to have more research experience than an applicant in a bachelor's degree program. This same logic is used by many national fellowships, like NSF, where applicants are divided into pools to compete against those at the same phase in their graduate educations.

Thanks.

In terms of undergraduate research experience, I have worked 12 months in total in a research group.

As for Master's research experience, we have a 5 month research project (dissertation).

So although I will have 17 months by the end of the Master's, I can't really talk about the 5 month research project on my applications, as it is commenced late into the course (after Spring term).

What do you think? How will institutions consider my 5 months of yet-to-be-started research work?

Edited by Rpxp

What do you think? How will institutions consider my 5 months of yet-to-be-started research work?

If you don't have the experience when you apply, they won't count it as experience when you apply. Your educational background sounds like it will mesh better with the expectations of UK PhD programs -- is there some reason why you don't want to pursue a PhD in the UK?

If you don't have the experience when you apply, they won't count it as experience when you apply.

Thanks for your input. Giving the 'experience' a small mention will probably suffice.

Your educational background sounds like it will mesh better with the expectations of UK PhD programs -- is there some reason why you don't want to pursue a PhD in the UK?

Interesting point; what about my background seems more fit for a UK PhD compared to one in the US?

The UK has top PhD programmes, and I will be pursuing an MSc which has a high retention rate viz PhD students. So that is a great option (not counting my chickens yet though!).

I am fond of the broader educational experience offered by the US system, and there are many leading programmes to choose from. Coupled with a close advisor/student research fit, it's more appealing and I'd like to give it a shot. I will be applying to UK programmes aswell.

Edited by Rpxp

Interesting point; what about my background seems more fit for a UK PhD compared to one in the US?

I just meant that a taught Master's rather than a research Master's is more acceptable for an applicant to PhD programs in the UK than the US. In STEM fields, US PhD programs care most about research experience, they expect more research experience from an applicant with a Master's than they do from an applicant with a Bachelor's, and as a corollary they tend to view taught Master's as terminal degrees, particularly at the caliber of US PhD program to which you aspire. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

I just meant that a taught Master's rather than a research Master's is more acceptable for an applicant to PhD programs in the UK than the US. In STEM fields, US PhD programs care most about research experience, they expect more research experience from an applicant with a Master's than they do from an applicant with a Bachelor's, and as a corollary they tend to view taught Master's as terminal degrees, particularly at the caliber of US PhD program to which you aspire. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

I see, thanks. This brings me onto the following. My intention has been to apply to BME PhD programmes in the US. However, since my BA is in a branch of engineering that isn't directly related to BME, I decided on pursuing the taught Master's in BME to give me the necessary background (BME is very broad and interdisciplinary and the Master's delivers this well). The idea was that when I come to fill in applications for PhD programmes I can seriously talk about pursuing a career in BME.

Two questions...

1. What do you think of this approach? I have time to adapt it.

2. Given that the Master's delivers a broad coverage of BME (no streams), you can sort of think of it as a 'one year BA' (don't shoot :P). So, if I were accepted on to a US PhD programme, do you think they would require me to complete another Master's in order to give greater depth of in my chosen area?

Edited by Rpxp

I can't speak to your first question, but many PhD programs of the caliber to which you aspire will require you to complete their Master's even if you are admitted with a Master's you've earned elsewhere.

I would prefer that, you can really get to know the academics and the department who you'll be working for/alongside during your PhD.

Edited by Rpxp