Should I bother applying?

seasel

Hey Guys,

I am about to graduate and I'm applying for grad school I was wondering if I should even bother applying to UCSF's MS in Global Health program. I fulfill their basic requirements but I know that UCSF is very competitive. My GPA is low because I got some bad grades my sophomore year. Here are my stats:

Major: Anthropology/Public Health

Cumulative GPA: 3.27

Major GPA: 3.56

I have two years of research experience in public health

I have professor willing to write me very good letters of recommendation

I’ve written two published journal articles

I’ve also written an article on water quality for a local newspaper.

This program does not ask for GRE scores.

My GPA is low because I’ve taken a lot of natural science courses that most Anthropology majors haven’t. Do you think I even have a shot a UCSF? I read the post about not asking about "chances" of getting in. I'm just wondering if you guys think it's worth applying.

You have no chance if you don't apply. Good LORs and publications are impressive, and your GPA is not terrible. Also, even though the GRE is not required, if you test well, you could send the scores.

You have no chance if you don't apply.

I would take that with a huge grain of salt. This is the kind of advice I got from my idiot adviser in high school (not calling you an idiot emmm :)). "don't give up on your dreams" or "you never know" and I ended up getting rejected by every private school I applied to.

I think your publications are definitely a plus. One thing to note is that you're already in SF, so it is a lot easier to try to network with some of the professors, and try to let them get to know you a little bit. I don't know about global health, but maybe you can get a part time job doing research assistance or volunteer as research assistant. Positive exposure will definitely give you an edge over people who only have the chance to communicate through papers and test scores.

Thanks, that's very good advice. Networking with the professors could only help.

GRE scores are optional, but I’m not sure if I should submit mine. I got a 158 verbal and 149 quantitative and 4.5 on my essay. Do you think they’re good enough to submit? I know they’re not spectacular.

I don't know much about public health, but I'm inclined to agree with emmm. I've been accepted to my top choice PhD program with a lower GPA than yours (3.147). With the programs I applied to, GPA was used as a cutoff (nothing below 3.0) instead of something that really defines whether or not you're right for the program. My letters of rec and research experience were way more important.

There is no harm in applying, in my freshman year I had many grades that were not up to par, and one that was just a fail. I worked my but off to get my GPA back up, by my last year it was 3.85, and cGPA was around 3.3. You have all this experience, which is a plus! I don't have much experience, but I got in to a environmental studies program (and my major is sociology) and also in to Cambridge (UK)- a school which, if you go on their website, make it pretty explicit that no amount of extra curricular makes up for low GPA standing (they said in bold never makes up) and they do not prefer all-rounder applicants. My point is, even with my first year screwed up, Cambridge looked past it and I am sure other schools will look past it for you. Especially since Global Health looks for experience. Good luck!