Applying after the deadline?

seasel

The deadline for a program was on March 23rd. I decided to apply last minute and thought the deadline was April 23rd. When I submitted my application it said that they still accepting application but on a "space available basis only." What exactly does that mean for my chances of acceptance? Does it mean that they will only be accepting more applications if the program doesn't fill up?

From one of your previous posts, I am assuming you are referring to the Global Health program at UCSF. This is from one of their FAQs:

"When Can I Apply?

Online applications will be available starting September 5, 2011 on the GHS website. The application deadline is March 23, 2012, although late applications may be submitted without assurance of review or an interview. Late applicants may by placed on a waitlist and contacted if accepted candidates decline admission. The Admissions Committee will conduct interviews early in 2012, either face-to-face at the Beale Street location, or via Skype in the case of long-distance applicants. We will notify candidates of their status within a few weeks after the interview. Exceptionally qualified applicants may be accepted on a rolling basis; therefore, there is an advantage to an early application."

http://globalhealthsciences.ucsf.edu/education-training/masters-program/faq

The program has quite a high admission rate (25%), but the chances of getting in if you sent your application 3 weeks after the deadline are pretty small, imo.

Since it's rolling admit after the deadline, I'd assume you'd be lumped in with the waitlist pool. If you're head and shoulders above the rest and they have spaces they need to fill you might have a chance. However, don't plan on getting any financial aid for your first year.