GW Elliott Concerns

PeterP

I am this close to accepting my place at GW Elliott, but I still have a few (probably irrational) reservations. I somehow have the impression that GW isn't a very student-centered school (not much faculty interaction, few opportunities for participation in research, etc). For those of you who have visited (or even better, are current students or grads), what is your impression? Are faculty/administratiors/career services accessible and helpful?

Also, on an academic level, how does GW Elliott compare to SAIS and UMD-College Park?

I am this close to accepting my place at GW Elliott, but I still have a few (probably irrational) reservations. I somehow have the impression that GW isn't a very student-centered school (not much faculty interaction, few opportunities for participation in research, etc). For those of you who have visited (or even better, are current students or grads), what is your impression? Are faculty/administratiors/career services accessible and helpful?

Also, on an academic level, how does GW Elliott compare to SAIS and UMD-College Park?

I've had friends at GW Elliott both for undergraduate and graduate levels. From just anecdotal evidence, those who attended for graduate school on the whole seemed fairly happy with their experience and the quality of education. Career services seems pretty spot on, though there are a number of professors who are also practioners so access to them may not always be consistent.

On an academic level, GW is vastly superior to UMD and a slight step below SAIS (though both Elliott and SAIS along with SFS and HKS are healthily represented in my office). It depends what you want to do post-master's but I'd say Elliott is a strong established program with great links to the DC community. Now if you want to do anything in economics, the WB, or IMF then SAIS is the place to go. If you were alternatively interested in security and defense then I would say they are on par. Overall SAIS is a better program, however especially if GW gives you money and with its cheaper price tag, it is very much a good alternative.

I have a friend at GW now.. and I also looked at GW for my Master's, we both feel the same way (about both of our schools- he GW and myself AU) that they are not student-focused at all. I am assuming they just feel at our level we should be self-motivated.. Especially my feeling of GW is that mostly everyone is a working professional, so people mostly come in for class after work.. my friend said he's one of a select few actually not working but just purely studying. He already has his job lined up post-graduating, but that's because he's very well-connected and a part of a wealthy foreign family actively involved in international politics.

GW isn't a slight step below SAIS, it's on par with AU's SIS. SAIS is in its own league with HKS, WWS, and SFS. UMD is not in the same league as either GW or AU but much further below both.

Did you receive funding at SAIS? I would strongly encourage you to accept SAIS..

I have a friend at GW now.. and I also looked at GW for my Master's, we both feel the same way (about both of our schools- he GW and myself AU) that they are not student-focused at all. I am assuming they just feel at our level we should be self-motivated.. Especially my feeling of GW is that mostly everyone is a working professional, so people mostly come in for class after work.. my friend said he's one of a select few actually not working but just purely studying. He already has his job lined up post-graduating, but that's because he's very well-connected and a part of a wealthy foreign family actively involved in international politics.

GW isn't a slight step below SAIS, it's on par with AU's SIS. SAIS is in its own league with HKS, WWS, and SFS. UMD is not in the same league as either GW or AU but much further below both.

Did you receive funding at SAIS? I would strongly encourage you to accept SAIS..

I would say that based on reputation, rankings, and alumni GW Elliott is hands down superior to AU's SIS. The only people I've ever heard say they are on par are AU students / alumni.

Edited by JAubrey

I would say that based on reputation, rankings, and alumni GW Elliott is hands down superior to AU's SIS. The only people I've ever heard say they are on par are AU students / alumni.

Are you joking? Have you seen the rankings? GWU is 7th, AU is 8th. You actually have no idea what you're talking about (and I immediately knew this when you said Elliot is comparable to SAIS- SAIS is 2nd, better than Princeton and Harvard). Please move along and let people who actually have gone to these schools/had to choose between these schools to comment on this thread and offer their advice.

PS In addition, you've just single-handedly dissed all applicants who have gone/go to/are contemplating going to AU. Way to go, buddy. Feel better?

Are you joking? Have you seen the rankings? GWU is 7th, AU is 8th. You actually have no idea what you're talking about (and I immediately knew this when you said Elliot is comparable to SAIS- SAIS is 2nd, better than Princeton and Harvard). Please move along and let people who actually have gone to these schools/had to choose between these schools to comment on this thread and offer their advice.

PS In addition, you've just single-handedly dissed all applicants who have gone/go to/are contemplating going to AU. Way to go, buddy. Feel better?

You mean the rankings that have Syracuse ranked ahead of HKS and WWS? Yeah good call there. Second I did not say Elliott was on the same level as SAIS, I said it was a step below if you bothered to read rather than fly off the handle because you took umbrage at the idea GW is a better / more well regarded school.

How is it "dissing" AU to state the obvious that it is not on par with GW?

Edited by JAubrey

I don't really think there is any point to this pissing match, but if you are referring to the TRIP rankings (http://irtheoryandpractice.wm.edu/projects/trip/TRIP%202011%20RESULTS%20US%20RESPONDENTS.pdf) then AU is indeed #8 and GWU is #7. However GWU is pretty clearly in the "second tier" and very close with Columbia, Tufts, and Princeton. Georgetown, JHU, and Harvard make up the top tier. AU is a great school and in these rankings is far ahead of others like DU, Yale, etc, but the gap between 20% and 38% is notable.

You mean the rankings that have Syracuse ranked ahead of HKS and WWS? Yeah good call there. Second I did not say Elliott was on the same level as SAIS, I said it was a step below if you bothered to read rather than fly off the handle because you took umbrage at the idea GW is a better / more well regarded school.

How is it "dissing" AU to state the obvious that it is not on par with GW?

No.. now you're referring to Syracuse, which yes has the #1 public affairs school in the country. Not the same as IP, different programs. Get over it. Harvard and Yale are not #1 in everything. Yes, Syracuse has the better program. Why is that such a big deal for you?

And they are on par.

No.. now you're referring to Syracuse, which yes has the #1 public affairs school in the country. Not the same as IP, different programs. Get over it. Harvard and Yale are not #1 in everything. Yes, Syracuse has the better program. Why is that such a big deal for you?

And they are on par.

And by this statement you demonstrate your lack of understanding of the subject. Maxwell has an excellent program not on par with HKS or WWS. Comparing the quality of students (test scores, work experience, and admission statistics) in these programs and the alumni jobs bears this out immediately. Nor is AU on par with GW. Neither of these facts mean that Maxwell nor AU's SIS are poor programs, they are just in different tiers compared to certain other schools.

Getting back to the original discussion, I am a current GW student and would like to offer my perspective on its "student-centeredness." I personally have had plenty of opportunity for interaction with faculty. Just as in undergrad, you are not going to get to know a professor by just going to class. You have to go to office hours, ask questions, go to non-class events, etc. I do not think this is any different from other programs at any academic level. In particular, I have felt that the staff and faculty for my program are very accessible and always happy to talk with students. As another poster noted, some of the classes are taught by adjunct faculty that have day jobs in the field. Access to these people may be more limited in some cases, but I have not had a problem.

With regard to participation in research, I know of two students in my cohort that were getting paid as research assistants by the end of the first semester of the program. I do not know their particular situations, but it seems to me that this type of opportunity is available for those that want to pursue it.

I would strongly disagree with the statement made earlier that almost everyone at GW is a working professional. I am working full time and am definitely in the minority (there are maybe 3-4 of us out of 25-30 in my cohort). Most people do have internships during the day, which is part of the appeal. However, I think that there is as strong a sense of community as you want there to be. Yes, some people will just be going to campus for class, but there are plenty of student events and opportunities to take advantage of if you wish.

In short, I think GW is a good option. I am glad for the opportunity to take classes in the evening, and think that there are plenty of opportunities for interaction with faculty, etc. As with anywhere, the experience is only as good as you make it.

Hi everyone,

ok, I have a general question - do companies, NGOs, etc in DC take interns just for one day/week?! Is that possible?

and @ CalSeeker - this is a very personal question, but how do you succeed in working full-time and attending grad school? I mean, I am an international student and many things at a US-university are different in comparison to Germany (especially, when it comes to essay-writing), but still - sounds amazing what you are managing...

Hi everyone,

ok, I have a general question - do companies, NGOs, etc in DC take interns just for one day/week?! Is that possible?

No, I do not think most organizations would allow one day per week internships. I believe most are something like 3 days per week or 20 hours. I have not done any internships here, though, so I do not know for sure.

and @ CalSeeker - this is a very personal question, but how do you succeed in working full-time and attending grad school? I mean, I am an international student and many things at a US-university are different in comparison to Germany (especially, when it comes to essay-writing), but still - sounds amazing what you are managing...

Thanks! It is a lot of work to do both, but it has not been too bad, really. I am currently doing school part-time (but planning to take a full load next year). The workload really depends on the classes you take, and fortunately so far I have taken mostly econ classes with minimal writing requirements.