$15k in Charlottesville?

Guest guest

Guest guest

9 months $15k in Charlottesville, VA, is this enough for living? I heard the east coast living expenses is quite high.

yes, the East Coast is expensive in general but outside of the DC metro area, living in VA is not too bad. Plus Charlottesville is a college town so I'd imagine that it's pretty affordable but I have no specific knowledge...

Actually, Charlottesville can be fairly expensive (I'm from Virginia.) It has increased in recent years. It's a very nice small town that has been ranked as the #1 place to live in one survey (Money magazine?) I found this site: http://www.caar.com/article_detail.php?article_id=45. It is cheaper than the DC area, but it is still expensive. That said, Charlottesville is a really cool place to live and the economic environment is vibrant due to low unemployment, the University, and the presence of high tech companies (due to the University). I'm sure that you could get by on $15k, but it won't be as easy as some other small towns.

That should help a bit. Maybe someone who has lived in the area could help more.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest a guest

yes please, someone who lives there give us a little more info....i will be on 16,000 and probably living by myself (i can imagine the heating bills in the winter, so i'm not dead certain on that yet). i don't know if i'll try an apartment or townhouse or try to find someone who is renting out a basement apartment or something. if someone lives/lived there (especially if on a similar stipend/living expense) i'd appreciate some more information on the area..