Imminent deadline, two schools, general panic.

swils

Hey, it can't hurt, right?

I am trying to decide between two schools for an MA in Library and Information Science. I am between the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Both schools are equally ranked, so "prestige" isn't an issue.

I'm interested in some kind of old-fashioned library topics: rare books, book history, and preservation. Both have good archives/preservation programs, but I'm worried about these other aspects.

Pitt seems to be more geared toward technology. This is great, and would be helpful for the future, but it's also not my main passion. There don't seem to be faculty members who really share my areas of interest. However, Pittsburgh has good ties with a fine arts museum right next door, so there could be some good opportunities there. It's also within a 4 hour drive of major museums and similar institutions on the east coast. I have been offered an intership in a health science library. It would be great experience, but, again, not necessarily my field.

Madison has at least two professors who have some research in book history/print culture, but the city does not offer as much in the way of history and applicable institutions. I

Costs are... comparable. Madison is cheaper for me, but Pitt would allow me to finish in one year, and subsequently enter the workforce sooner. After visiting, I felt like Pittsburgh (as a city) seemed like a good fit, and last night I was all set to accept. Today, I'm having cold feet and am questioning everything. Did I apply to the right schools? Were my choices arbitrary? Do I really want to study library in the first place?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Any advice would be great.

I certainly can't comment on whether or not you want to 'study library' or not, but from the sound of your post you've pretty much made up your mind. As an alum of UW-Madison I'm obviously biased, but all of the points you've laid out in your post lead to Pittsburgh. I see virtually no 'pros' for Madison listed other than two professors that have some research in an area you're interested in. If you are truly second guessing this move in life, do you currently have a job that you could keep and defer/reapply to school until you are truly sure you want to pursue this career? Why do you want to do this at all?

Library Science is not my field nor am I seeking a degree in it, but I did take several courses in Book Arts as an undergrad (yay - history of the book), and I can comment on the value of completing internships which may not immediately seem connected to future career/job searching.

Passionate about it or not, technology is the present and likely our future. I am in the museum field, but occasionally, I stumble on posts for archives work and rare collections; I have in the process seen some library posts. So many seem to require several esoteric databases. I suspect you can always focus on book history and print culture, and certainly you can do a project or thesis on it, but you will be missing out on the technological requirements which might set you more competitively for library jobs in the future. Again, my scope is museums and not libraries, but might as well prepare yourself skill-wise in technology that contemporary employers are seeking. That is, unless you are thinking a career in a university and knowledges of book history and published research on it is essential....?

As for the internship, unless you can snag a job or internship in your field of interest, which obviously it seems like you desire and you *should* seek ideally, remember that internships are terrific short-term opportunities to learn, and to try something new. I am in the museum world; I took a short-term opportunity once in a military museum. Although my passion is early American history and decorative arts, I have no academic interests in the military. However, that was the lone experience I hold on my resume in a university museum, which is my current career trajectory. The point is you never know what you might obtain in that health science internship which may diversify your resume.

I completed my undergraduate at Pitt and it's a great school in a great city. I also have known several MLIS students who were able to intern in the archives at the museum who love getting practical experience

Contiguous - Any chance that the MLIS students were in the Archives and Records Management concentration? I wasn't placed in that specialization, which is another worry of mine. I would expect that the best internship opportunies for my area of interests would co to the APRM students. At least, that was my impression when visiting the school.

In a shocking twist (spoiler alert) I'm now leaning toward Madison. I didn't give it a lot of time in my first post, mostly because I've been fixating on my worries concerning Pitt. But when I look at the course list for Madison, I get more excited. Pittsburgh has some cool things to offer, but I'm increasingly getting the feeling that I might not have access to them. Madison has a smaller program, which would give me more of a chance to make connections and snag good internships. There is an internship/practicum requirement that they help set up for you, so I may have a better chance with that one. In any case, all experience is good experience.

Anyway, I think I was more drawn to the city of Pittsburgh, but the program of Madison. And shouldn't I be going for the program? I'm going to put my earlier panic down to a bad case of cold feet. Of course, we'll see how I feel about this decision tomorrow.

Sorry about the embarrassing phrase "study library." Clearly I wrote this in an emotional haze.

I'm interested in some kind of old-fashioned library topics: rare books, book history, and preservation. Both have good archives/preservation programs, but I'm worried about these other aspects.

Sounds like you and I have very similar interests :)

I was also accepted to Pitt and, according to my roommate, it's an exceptional college experience. I only declined because I received a better offer and paid position in my field of interest elsewhere; my philosophy is to 'go where the work is.' You seem similarly inclined to making yourself hirable, and my impression (though I may be misguided) is that any work which gets your foot in the door is important. An unrelated internship might be really enjoyable and show diversity on your resume.

That said, I have no concept of the program at Madison, but hope that helps!

Good luck, whatever you decide.

~MLD

You seem similarly inclined to making yourself hirable, and my impression (though I may be misguided) is that any work which gets your foot in the door is important.

Definitely! I'm thinking that Madison might give me the opportunity to get a little more diversity, since my unpaid Pitt internship would have eaten up so much time, and lasted for the entire length of the program. As of yesterday, I think I'm pretty set on Madison. When I told my parents a few nights ago that I was leaning toward Pittsburgh, I felt nervous and uncomfortable, and woke up the next morning in a panic about their program. (I do think their program is excellent; I was just worried about fit.) With Madison, I quickly texted my close friends and started looking for apartments. It just feels good.

It's good to run across people with similar interests, by the way! Do you know where you're thinking of going?

Thanks for the words of advice and caution, anonymous internet people.

Well, I was really excited by the preservation program at UT Austin, however I didn't receive funding. My intention, as it stands, is to go to Indiana University. I was offered a paid position in library outreach and information literacy (topics I care about, deeply), and I'm going to wait a year to double with their History program. If I can fit archives/preservation in on the MLS side, and a few languages in on the History side, I'll be working towards academic reference in the humanities (combined with a dramatic literature graduate certification in Theatre Arts).

Mostly I just want to work with antiquarians and help to connect people to the information they need but didn't know they needed :) I'm hoping I've chosen the right path.

Contiguous - Any chance that the MLIS students were in the Archives and Records Management concentration? I wasn't placed in that specialization, which is another worry of mine. I would expect that the best internship opportunies for my area of interests would co to the APRM students. At least, that was my impression when visiting the school.

I'm actually unsure of their concentration. Either way they've only had nice things to say about the program, and I've enjoyed Pitt. Madison is also a great program and a fun town, so you're set no matter where you end up choosing :)

I'm in for Madison, officially! I'm pretty pretty great about it. I got a batch of long, lovely emails from the Director of the program as well as another professor, answering some of my questions about their academic focus. It just reinforced my decision. Now to start planning the logistics....

MyLadyDisdain, it sounds like you're ending up in the right place, especially if you can double with History. That would be really interesting!