How early should I take my GRE test?

Atkum

I am planning to apply for grad school for the fall of 2013, when do you guys think I should take my GRE? I was thinking september, but I'm wondering if that is too late as most of the schools have their deadline in December.

I would take the exam over the summer. This way, if your scores are less than what you deem to be desirable, there is plenty of time to take the exam again.

Another way to think about it is to just get it over with. You will have to take the exam no matter what and it is a stinky exam and the sooner it is out of your hair the better.

I concur with Spore. Take it over the summer at the earliest, so that you have time to re-take it, if necessary. The application process itself can be overwhelming, especially if you apply while still finishing up school. Get this off your check list and you will be thankful during application season.

I'm planning to apply for Fall 2013 and I just went ahead and took it earlier this month. I figured it gave me lots of time to try again if I didn't do well. I don't know if this will count against me in anyway, but I can't really think why it would, it's still all this year, and applications will be due in the winter...

Completely agree with @spore, @tropicalcharlie, and @unforth. Leave enough time to try again in case it doesn't go as well as you hope. Typically 3 months of solid prep can get you a good score. Also remember that you cannot take the test more than once in a 30 day period.

It depends on if you will be busy this fall (i.e. last year of school) and how much prep you need. Taking it "early" will NOT count against you -- all they will care about is whether the scores are valid, and test scores are valid for 5 years. So even if you took it a year or two ago, it would have been fine.

It was convenient for me to take my General GRE in June 2011 and subject GRE in November 2011 and my first applications were due in Dec 2011. Scores for my subject GRE were sent to my schools in mid- to late December even though some applications had due dates of Dec 1. My schools didn't care (and I'm guessing most others won't too) that the scores were not ready when I submitted everything else as long as they knew the scores were coming. Most of my programs don't even look at the applications until January though.

So, earlier is better because you get it out of the way and you may be less busy in the summer. However, just to be clear, you can still write the GRE in September, October, and maybe even November for applications due in December, if that's better for your timeline.

Just as a correction - you can't take it more than once every 60 days (not every 30 days) and I believe it's capped at four times a year.

I am planning to apply for grad school for the fall of 2013, when do you guys think I should take my GRE? I was thinking september, but I'm wondering if that is too late as most of the schools have their deadline in December.

Take it now so you can take advantage or EARLY admission deals (some schools will not charge an app fee if you submit at a certain time).