Non-Academic Jobs For History? / Policy Analysis

displayname

Hi all,

I am currently enrolled in a PhD program in history at a very well-respected institution. I am increasingly interested in non-academic jobs, but I don't have much interest in becoming an archivist or working for a museum, which seems to often be the default jobs for non-academic history Phds. I am much more interested in policy analysis and/or government work, but I haven't been able to find too many examples of people that have made that transition. Does anyone know of some examples of this, or is anyone in the policy world aware of how a historian's knowledge of political development, public policy, etc. might be put to good use (or, conversely, laughed at in the government/policy world?).

Maybe think about the PMF program (http://www.pmf.gov/) that can get you placed in a government agency. It's a lot of masters and JD people (at least at State, where I am now), but I know a handful of people with PhDs who did the program and are still working in the government.

I was a history major in college, and now I'm headed into a policy program (international policy MA) so I definitely think a history background is helpful, especially in understanding the background of a regional conflict or issue.

The main issue you need to address is how your area of expertise applies to current issues. Knowledge of medieval agricultural techniques can be applied to modern sustainable farming methods for organic farmers or subsistence farming in developing countries. An expert on colonial/post-colonial Africa can help people understand why there is so much conflict throughout the region (hint: a white guy 3000 miles away drew the map). One of my professors was an expert in the history of American public health and medicine--knowing about the division between "regular" doctors and "quacks", certifications and licenses, nurses and doctors, the evolution of the understanding of medical science, can be very helpful in understanding why the public health care system is the way it is today in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the great advice! I will look into the aforementioned program, and I think that OregonGal is right about proving that you can speak about contemporary issues.

Does anyone else have thoughts, or know someone that made a similar transition?

• 2 weeks later...

@displayname--

Until the global financial crisis hit America and changed the rules of a sector of the construction industry that had, up to that point, been "recession proof," my skill set as a historian served me well as an analyst for a boutique consultancy. My division dealt with issues of urban policy. In addition to having a pretty good set of research skills, the ability to write, to think critically, and to facilitate discussion helped me to boil down complex policy issues into more accessible thumbnails for clients and stakeholders.

On the other hand, the "historians' mindset" can be a burden. We are trained to ask "why?" and to us that question is an indication of intellectual engagement. In other places, that question can be read in other ways.

As noted, the recession has changed the job market for this type of work. Now, firms and municipalities are looking more and more for "real world" experience that on can quantify in Granny apples to Granny apples terms. That is, they are less interested in hiring educated applicants who can be trained up over several to do the work. Instead, they want to hire people who have "been there and done that" and can do it again from the moment they walk into the door. They want people who will work backbreaking hours with little complaint and who will ask few (if any) of the types of questions trained historians ask. (This is to say that right now, it is about making money and lowering expenses. Private firms and governments want both.)

Consequently, my recommendations to you are that you manage your expectations and that you maximize your opportunities to get hands on experience in the industry in which you'd want to make a career. I also recommend that you get training/take classes in skills that have "real world" value and will jump out at a person in HR who is skimming resumes. Examples of such skills include: marketing, business development, communicating with stakeholders at a variety of levels, technical writing, project management, financial analysis, and advanced expertise in using specific software suites.

HTH.

Very interesting insight, Sigaba--and a good point that these days having some concrete skills to put on your resume can be the element which gets you the job.

Also, it sounds like you went back for your PhD after your consultancy job. After you finish your dissertation, are you considering going back to consulting or are you planning on staying in academia? I'd be interested in knowing how your experience with the sector shift and the recession has changed your career plans.

Hi displayname,

You should check out Versatile PHD's website and the Humanities and Social Sciences forum. There are lots of grad students like yourself on the site that are seeking nonacademic (research or not) careers. I highly recommend it for tips and any other advice for transitioning out of the Ivory Tower.

http://versatilephd.com/