Ergonomic chairs

Anyone heard of these?

I'm thinking they may be a way out of those back and shoulder problems I hear so much about from grad students. From what I've read online people almost unanimously extol the benefits (better posture, increased productivity, a feeling of "floating" rather than sitting, etc.) A few of the models have even been featured at the Museum of Modern Art for their design.

The cost is kind of shocking at first (~$800 for the main players), but when spread out over 5 years it doesn't seem as hefty.

I damaged my sciatic nerve pretty badly some years ago, and with a recent flare up that rendered me immobile and hospitalized I've been thinking more and more about preventitive measures. After researching a bit, and given how long we are at our desks, it seems they could be relevant to you all, too.

Edited by NewScientist12

There are other types of ergonomic chairs that aren't as expensive but definitely not as fancy (i.e. "floating" feeling). In all the schools I've worked at, it has been the department's responsibility to provide its students with decent work chairs. By "decent", I mean the ability to adjust height and tilt to put the screen at a comfortable viewing angle and keyboard and mouse placed at a comfortable height. These chairs are definitely not as fancy -- probably cost about $100 or so each at an office supply store.

I don't know if you can ever convince your department to buy everyone those fancy chairs (unless you mean getting one yourself for working at home). If I really needed it, I might consider getting such a chair for myself if I was mostly working from home, but I wouldn't leave almost $1000 of my personal things at school!

Some students I know have also been trying out a "standing desk", where they sit for ~4 hours and then work from a standing position for ~4 hours. I don't know what your injury is, so I don't know if this is even viable for you, but just adding to the ergonomic discussion!

Basically, what I'm saying is that your workplace should have decent ergonomic measures and if they don't, the students should petition the department for change!

There are other types of ergonomic chairs that aren't as expensive but definitely not as fancy (i.e. "floating" feeling). In all the schools I've worked at, it has been the department's responsibility to provide its students with decent work chairs. By "decent", I mean the ability to adjust height and tilt to put the screen at a comfortable viewing angle and keyboard and mouse placed at a comfortable height. These chairs are definitely not as fancy -- probably cost about $100 or so each at an office supply store.

I don't know if you can ever convince your department to buy everyone those fancy chairs (unless you mean getting one yourself for working at home). If I really needed it, I might consider getting such a chair for myself if I was mostly working from home, but I wouldn't leave almost $1000 of my personal things at school!

Some students I know have also been trying out a "standing desk", where they sit for ~4 hours and then work from a standing position for ~4 hours. I don't know what your injury is, so I don't know if this is even viable for you, but just adding to the ergonomic discussion!

Basically, what I'm saying is that your workplace should have decent ergonomic measures and if they don't, the students should petition the department for change!

They usually provide chairs? I didn't know that! I was just hoping for a desk.

What I meant was that the department should supply a decent ergonomic chair -- not one of the "floating" ones, but I've seen places where students get basically a folding chair or other painful-to-sit-on-for-hours type of chairs. I'm saying that students should get decent ergonomic support -- desks and screens at the right height, padding for keyboards/mouse if necessary, comfortable chairs and so on.

What I meant was that the department should supply a decent ergonomic chair -- not one of the "floating" ones, but I've seen places where students get basically a folding chair or other painful-to-sit-on-for-hours type of chairs. I'm saying that students should get decent ergonomic support -- desks and screens at the right height, padding for keyboards/mouse if necessary, comfortable chairs and so on.

Got it. I was thinking you meant they usually provide a basic swivel chair or something. This makes more sense.

• 1 year later...

Is it reasonable to ask for a chair?  Our lab has a few nice office chairs but are being used by other members who are full time...I just started a full-time now.  The chairs I have to use are plastic (but nice plastic ones).  They're okay but not for 8 hours of use.  Is it unreasonable to ask for a nicer chair or should I just bring in my own? What's the typical notion here?

Why not ask? Worst case scenario, you're told that there is no funding at the moment and you have to bring your own. You were going to do that anyway, so what have you got to lose? Personally, I think it's a fair request and at least in my department it's clear that it's the department's job to make sure that everyone has comfortable chairs. You only get the most comfortable ones as a more experienced student (they're left over chairs that should have only been supplied to faculty but we have some extras that get inherited by senior students as other graduate), but no one sits on plastic chairs or anything of the sort unless they choose to.