How do I match up to other applicants? (Clinical Psych PhD)

srl413

Everyone knows acceptance rates at Clinical Psych PhD programs are miniscule. And the GPA and GRE scores of accepted applicants are very high (schools are required to publish these stats). My question is, what are the GPA and GRE scores of all the people who apply to these programs that DON'T get accepted? Technically, according to published scores, I am a match at most programs with my GRE and GPA. But do the 200+ people who apply to these schools and get rejected also have scores that are equivalent to those who are accepted? Can anyone shed some light on this question? Thanks! (GPA 3.7, GRE verbal 165, equivalent to 690, GRE quantitiative 159, equivalent to 750)

It depends on a myriad of factors: the school, the year you apply, who you want to work with, your experiences, etc. etc. Sorry there is no easy answer. But you'd have better luck looking into stats for particular schools on their websites.

I think your GPA and GRE are good enough to apply, but I can't really give much more info. than that.

Edited by spinrah

Those look like competitive/good-enough scores to be admitted, but what really sets applicants apart is their experience/background and match with POI. Schools and professors vary a lot in what they're looking for, so it's not really possible to form a sweeping generalization about your qualifications.

I don't want to be the pessimist here, but those scores are just barely enough to apply. You need to 700+ GRE scores and a minimum of 3.7. On a positive note though, they only typically look at your last two years of grades, so if those are higher, you're in good shape.

Of course, you'll need to show that you have research experience and perhaps even clinical experience.

Lastly, you'll need to start contacting your potential supervisors early... start now if you're looking to apply for admission for the Sept 2013 year.

Good luck!

its not too early to start contacting potential supervisors? already know who I'm interested in but I was waiting because I didn't want to annoy them by contacting them too early before they might even know if they are taking graduate students in 2013....