Question about Interview/Campus visit

applecat

I submitted my application a few weeks ago to a few schools--I received a call from one today asking if I would want to come on a Thursday night/All day Friday visit where I would meet faculty and take a tour as well as interview.

I looked online and I hadn't been fully 'admitted' nor in the call did it say I was accepted. The call came from the Chemistry department admissions lady (not just the grad school).

My question is if this is something they would extend to anyone or if its a sign that they will be extending an acceptance to me?

I don't really know how it works so if someone could provide some insight, that would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Does the program usually interview? If it does, I wouldn't read much into this at all. If it doesn't, they're probably on the fence about admitting you and decided it would be worth the price of a plane ticket to help them decide. My best guess on your status is that they're thinking about admitting you, but nothing is set yet.

Does the program usually interview? If it does, I wouldn't read much into this at all. If it doesn't, they're probably on the fence about admitting you and decided it would be worth the price of a plane ticket to help them decide. My best guess on your status is that they're thinking about admitting you, but nothing is set yet.

I returned her message this afternoon and talked to her for quite a bit. I'm not aware of proper etiquette but decided to ask her a few questions.

What I found out is that they typically review 250-300 applicants and bring in approximately 35-40 for campus visits/interviews. She said they accept 20-25 students each year. I forgot to ask if the 20-25 is from the visiting 35-40 or if they admit maybe 15 automatically w/out visits and then the rest are fillled through the interview process.

Either way, I feel like its a good step in the process given the numbers she provided.

Now my question is...do you think the 25 students are from the interviewees or perhaps only 10-15 are from the interview?

Thank you.

(I didnt know if this process is different between the sciences, liberal arts, etc).