SOP Readers - Helping Out Fellow Applicants

Then discuss in this order:

- your research topic and methodology

- why you are interested in this and why it matters

Actually, I think the first two bullet points of this otherwise quite helpful post are wrong. Having read many of statements of purpose over the years, and having sat on an admissions committee of a department that many of you will be applying to, let me say that overly specific descriptions of dissertation topics are a minus. What we want is a convincing account of your research interests, the kinds of questions that motivate you, described withiin a broader account of why you want to do PhD in English (again, written in such a way that conveys that you understand what it means to do one, in 2012.)

Actually, I think the first two bullet points of this otherwise quite helpful post are wrong. Having read many of statements of purpose over the years, and having sat on an admissions committee of a department that many of you will be applying to, let me say that overly specific descriptions of dissertation topics are a minus. What we want is a convincing account of your research interests, the kinds of questions that motivate you, described withiin a broader account of why you want to do PhD in English (again, written in such a way that conveys that you understand what it means to do one, in 2012.)

Do you agree that we should put our future interests before our preparation? Does it matter?

Thank you for this. Your posts are always extremely helpful.

I think that I am struggling to find the right position between too specific and too broad, though.