Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Yes, Sequestration is affecting Fulbright (or at least the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs). I don't know how they are going to handle the cuts (fewer grants or internal staff/admin/program cuts). I talked about it on page 74 of this forum and linked to the White House report on Sequestration specifics.

It may be that this could delay future notices. I'm not sure. Here's hoping that it won't affect Fulbright at all (preferably, that Congress comes to some type of deal to stop Sequestration this week!!)

I wouldn't count on the latter..

I wouldn't count on the latter..

Yeah, right... Two incredibly useful websites about country placements for the Peace Corps lost funding and were taken down. This is all at a time when I am applying and would like to know as much information as possible/what it is I am getting into.  Grr. 

Edited by Porshyen

Yes I have been before. I worked with USAID there last year. I'm doing my doctoral research there. I am looking and the ecological effects and social drivers of deforestation in DRC: A case study on a specific landscape. Not sure how detailed you wanted me to get so I kept it vague. What about you? Have you been to Ethiopia and what is your project? A good friend of mine is a US Dip in Addis - I'll be visiting her there in a few weeks :D

Really interesting topic! Wishing you all the best!

I've been there once--my research deals with assessing the psychosocial factors that cause women to get obstric fistula.

Wow have fun in Ethiopia! My mom will be there next week as well!

here's to sincerely hoping its dumb and arbitrary -ness (as our president so aptly stated lol...) doesn't impact fulbright this year, or hopefully ever. they did say the cuts will roll out over years. i'm surprised to hear it's already impacting peace corps? are you certain? i would imagine/hope it wouldn't make sense for anyone's interests to constrain the fulbright program at this point in the consideration process, with all the wheels in motion already. though often the things that make the LEAST sense, yeah..,

freaking sequestration.

Also, is there anyone else that's worried about telling their employer if they get the grant...?

I'm also concerned! I was recently promoted to the permanent position for my job... and I am now getting paid insanely well and provided benefits. I know my employers would understand (seeing as I am a graduating senior and these things happen)... but still! I get nervous thinking about it.

what i found on Fulbright's FB page:  if the sequestration goes into effect there may be minor cuts to participant numbers in Fulbright Programs. We anticipate, however, that the bulk of the program will proceed as planned. Thanks!

What page? 

Hey yall. Never posted in these forums before, just signed up. Just got an email from IIE with an acceptance to Fulbright Peru!

Oh no, it's starting again... it's going to sneak up like a thief in the night.

Another datapoint for Peru... Just found out I'm an alternate. Agony!  FWIW, I'm a PhD student and I applied for a Fulbright-Fogarty public health fellowship.

Another datapoint for Peru... Just found out I'm an alternate. Agony!  FWIW, I'm a PhD student and I applied for a Fulbright-Fogarty public health fellowship.

Hey, alt is still better than outright rejection!

I mean, other than the not knowing anyway.

SOrry to hear you didn't get accepted, though.

Never posted to this forum.  Just wanted to say, thank you all soooo much for the posts:))) . . . I felt like I wasn't alone in the agony of waiting.   Just found out today that Im going to BRAZIL!!!!!:D:D:D . . . Almost passed out!  Sooooo excited and happy and overjoyed and over the moon about this (can't find enough adjectives!!!)!!!:D:D

Never posted to this forum.  Just wanted to say, thank you all soooo much for the posts:))) . . . I felt like I wasn't alone in the agony of waiting.   Just found out today that Im going to BRAZIL!!!!! :D:D:D . . . Almost passed out!  Sooooo excited and happy and overjoyed and over the moon about this (can't find enough adjectives!!!)!!! :D:D

Just got the news! ETA in Brazil!!! I can't believe it!

I was rejected 2 years ago and was crushed. I'm still in shock!

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, what was the subject line of your email?