Bowling Green, KY

dementagirl

Hi,

I'm about to move to Bowling Green, KY to start a Folk Studies program at WKU. First time in the south and also will be sans car for the first year but will happily travel around by bus. Looking for cool stuff to check out in the area.

I'm a Bowling Green native and would be happy to help you. As far as things to do, I would recommend checking out the downtown area, especially if you come on down during the summer time. Lots of concerts on the square, and that's also where all the bars and coffee shops are. We just got a Mellow Mushroom downtown as well, which of course has awesome pizza and has a cool vibe. Not sure what your hobbies are, but running is pretty popular in this town (5K and 10K happen pretty often). We have several churches which have great communities and allow you to connect. No shortage of places to eat (unfortunately most are chain restaurants) but I think we have the highest number of restaurants per capita in the state. You are also close to larger cities such as Nashville, TN and Louisville, KY, which have a lot to offer. Just let me know if you have any specific questions :)

I'm a big film geek, my original plans was to work in film before I made the change to Folk Art, and I'm trying to get into running and knitting. What's the bookstore situation like out there? I know about Prometheus books in Nashville but that's all I know. Also, I'm a recovering hipster, lived all over Brooklyn in my old life, and I still pine for that indie, scuzzy, jackassery that I both loved and hated to death. I heard in Nashville, I could get my hipster fix pretty easily but are there cool little hole-in-the-walls in BG that are worth checking out. I'm sorry if i'm being super-vague. The concerts sound awesome and I'm trying to head down there in late July to get moved in so I'll prick up my ears for that. Thank you!

Yes, Nashville will probably be your main source for getting the "hipster fix" :) As far as book stores, we really just have a Barnes & Noble. Again, downtown is probably the most hipster type area (Spencer's Coffee House, Mellow Mushroom, Tidballs Bar (sorta hipster, good place for hearing bands)) We have had several good bands come out of Bowling Green like Cage the Elephant, Morning Teleportation, and Nappy Roots, lol. But BG is a super safe place to live and I really can't think of hardly any areas where I would be nervous to walk around on my own.

• 7 years later...

I grew up here as a child and hated it there.

Very racist and had to deal with the Ku Klux Klan. My mom moved away from there last year and I am grateful.

It's very conservative and there really isn't anything to do. Only one movie theater and it's honestly awful without an independent cinema. Definitely safe and cheap to live but without any activities, Nashville is your best bet.

I don't recommend the place especially if you are part of a minority or LGBTQ community.

Edited by SocialKonstruct