Horror story: I was misled about funding for a PhD! Am I the only one?

zoterofan

"We will inform you in two weeks"....believe it or not....That's what they EXACTLY told me during graduate visit!!!! and yes, they did NOT tell me anything even in more than a month! until I sent email asking for the availability of the funding! And guess what's their answer: "We are unable to give you funds for now..."

I agree with most of ppl here....It's really NOT COOL and UNETHICAL and UNPROFESSIONAL to leave the grad. recruit hanging without information! If they told me earlier, I would've had chance to apply to many different financial aids! and YES, out of 9-10 available qualified application, I missed like almost 4-5 of them!! (because some of them cost money, official transcript, delivery charge...etc))

This kind of conduct not only decreasing my chance to continue my grad. degree, but the worst is the amount of anxiety I experience!

If they told me earlier, I would've had chance to apply to many different financial aids! and YES, out of 9-10 available qualified application, I missed like almost 4-5 of them!! (because some of them cost money, official transcript, delivery charge...etc))

This was a judgement error on your part. I know I personally tried to apply for as much external funding as possible, and it paid off quite nicely for me. Most people don't put their eggs in one basket when applying for schools, so they shouldn't when it comes to funding either.

This was a judgement error on your part. I know I personally tried to apply for as much external funding as possible, and it paid off quite nicely for me. Most people don't put their eggs in one basket when applying for schools, so they shouldn't when it comes to funding either.

Not because I just want to put all my eggs in one basket....it cost me a LOT to put my other eggs into other "basket". I live far far away from USA, therefore it cost me quite a lot of my country currency to send an application....One US dollar = 9,500 of my money

If they could tell me earlier, I can use my best judgement to send other applications to other generous companies....well, in one side, since this is my first grad. experience, I gotta make sure to spread the "eggs" even more in the future...maybe for PhD application

^^This. If you don't have an official signed letter in your hand then it is not an offer at all and you should not rely on it. It is in a lot of professors best interests to keep viable grad students interested in their program but it is a department decision, not an individual professors, that determines whether or not you are admitted, get funding, etc.

In short: No official letter = no deal.

Also chiming in with ktel here. Furthermore, external funding often gives you more freedom or more prestige. Evidence of obtaining such funding makes it easier to get funding in the future. The experience gained in going through the process is also very useful. Finding funding is a significant part of many academics' lives, don't forget to be building those skills throughout your career.

Ever come across anything like this yourself, reachystik?

No, I have not come across anything like that.. but did fight alongside my spouse when he had to go through similar bullshit.

He had two undergrad degrees (BA in Anthro & an HBA in history), and wanted to apply for a MA in history. His grades were not stellar so they told him to go back another year and upgrade and if he received 80's they would guarantee him a spot (this was one of the department heads who although challenged him, he wanted to see him succeed and be the best he could be). In this time this same department head mysteriously resigned and the department shifted toward history (specializing in europe, wars, etc) to women studies history. My spouse was treated unfairly in these new classes (the ones to bump his grades up) and collectively, it appeared as though many of the males in the class performed poorly when compared to the females. There were no foundation general theory courses for the history class... you know, the ones that would be embedded in historiography,etc. The theory courses in this HBA history program were feminist-based that really played up the idea of "history is written by men and they had it all wrong". When he applied again for graduate studies, he was rejected.

He tried two more times... only to be rejected again. He applied at another university and they recognized that his grades were not stellar, and they gave him a probationary 1 year term at part time to prove himself- which he did. It's a little ridiculous because this university that offered this probationary term is one of the best universities in Canada... and this other one is nothing special at all. He fought tooth and nail and the only advice they offered him was to come back another year to upgrade more undergrad courses (aka... spend more money here!).

He's still speaks with the department head who mysteriously resigned. According to him the history department is under investigation for their admissions decisions, and he resigned because he did refused to go on with departmental bullshit.

The grad studies at this school also joined "the fight" because they could not believe he was rejected. It was an interesting and eye-opening day when my spouse went to the grad office and told them that he was taking courses through this better university.. they were so proud of him and celebrated that good news.

I guess from that experience, don't give up. Make noise?

vertices and ktel, I think it's important to remember that not everyone has the same opportunities to apply for external funding. Many options are limited to being a US citizen, which the OP here is not. Furthermore, opportunities may not be available depending on whether or not you have already taken graduate courses and based on your field of study. For example, I was not eligible for many of the major external fellowships (NSF GRFP, NDSEG, Javits, etc.) when I applied to PhD programs for the reasons I just cited (already had a master's, though not in the same area, wasn't studying the right field, etc.). For international applicants, finding appropriate opportunities may be even more difficult. While it's easy to sit there and type that everyone should apply for all the external funding they can, it's a lot easier said than done.

^ I was specifically responding to romeo2die, where he clearly stated that he could have applied to more external funding but did not. I do understand that it does cost money to apply to many of these scholarships, due to having to obtain transcripts and sending mail and whatnot, but I personally think those costs would be well worth it if more funding was obtained. Since I don't know romeo2die's specific financial situation I can't know whether the cost was reasonable for him or not. I know full well how restrictive the external funding sources can be, specifically for international applicants, as I read the rules and regulations thoroughly when I was applying.

I find a lot of responses here rely on the benefit of hindsight.

If I were in danmacg's position, I would probably be expecting the funding as well, regardless of what the university's website or "common" knowledge told me. I say that from danmacg's recounting of the events anyway.

It's easy to rationalize why the funding fell through after the fact. However, imagining myself in that moment, I don't see any indication as to why he would expect otherwise.

At the same time, I do see Sigaba's point that publicly denouncing the university and program may not be the best way of handling the situation. However, In danmacg's defence, Sigaba's posts do come off as very blame-the-victim-like and preachy.

I guess I feel for danmacg, due to the immigration problems and difficulties he will face as a result of this situation. There's really no need to criticize his "situational awareness" other than to rub salt in the wound. I would guess that danmacg will make sure any future offers are in writing before relying on them or getting his hopes up.

^ I was specifically responding to romeo2die, where he clearly stated that he could have applied to more external funding but did not. I do understand that it does cost money to apply to many of these scholarships, due to having to obtain transcripts and sending mail and whatnot, but I personally think those costs would be well worth it if more funding was obtained. Since I don't know romeo2die's specific financial situation I can't know whether the cost was reasonable for him or not. I know full well how restrictive the external funding sources can be, specifically for international applicants, as I read the rules and regulations thoroughly when I was applying.

I have little money but bigger ambition :P

Hello OP,

I'm feeling for you, sounds a bad story. I have a question though! Before you applied you knew that their funding is limited. Why are you so upset to find out that you are now only getting limited funding (GA)? You stated that this goes against your plans (visa, loans, etc.) - then why did you apply there in the first place?

Good luck nonetheless!