Life advice

MaxiJaz

I just saw an interview on the person who wrote the article below and a lot of what he said resonates with me at this moment, though probably not when I first graduated from undergrad. I thought it would be helpful to share, even if not everyone will agree.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304811304577366332400453796.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Point 5 particularly resonated with me for some reason. I used to coach really little kids (aged 5 or so) rugby, and their parents were often ridiculously competitive. We certainly did not keep score, as they could barely master most of the rules of the game, and some parents took offense. Apparently it's only worthwhile when you are winning. What was worse were the parents who gave their children a dollar if they scored. It's a team sport, and rewarding individual achievement is not helpful.

As did point 6. The Globe and Mail always has a lengthy obituary written at the end of one of the sections. I always read it to hear their life story and am too often left with tears in my eyes.

I agree...the obituaries can serve as a reality check. I used to think that I needed to lead a life of distinction so that one day I could be proud of what was written of me in my own obituary...grim and vain, I know.

As an overseas expatriate Canadian, growing up in different countries and making friends with other expatriate kids, I was in an environment where people had a sense of self-entitlement and expected a lot from the world, . Moving away from home after high school and having to make a life for myself while making lots of mistakes on the way has taught me to open my horizons more, appreciate my friends and family and do things I really enjoy instead of following paths that society has been telling me will make me happy.

What I liked about the author's take on life was how different it was from typical business and world leaders who tell you to strive to be the best. As he put it, being 'great' involves a lot of luck and circumstances beyond our control, and I think it's far easier to focus on being the best we can be.

Just to add: I bought the kindle version of Charles Wheelan's book "10 1/2 things no commencement speaker has ever said" yesterday and found it a very short and easy read. I recommend it as a good summer read, especially if you're looking for some meaning in all this madness.

Edited by MaxiJaz