MIT, BC, BU, Tufts, Harvard et al: Its Boston!! (Intros...)

inactive_since_inf

Hi there!!

To the guy admitted on 24th. Are you master or phd? Are you already at MIT? Any news for PhD students? Who is your advisor?

A

Hi!

It is a PhD program... and no I'm not there yet, planning to visit MIT next month!

Hey Boston Enthusiast!

I will be at BU in the Materials Science and Engineering Ph.D. program next fall. Anyone else going to this program? I already live and work in Boston, so if anyone has any questions on housing, city life, etc. then let me know.

• 1 month later...

Officially Tufts University Class of 2011! I'm in the M.S. Civil & Environmental Engineering program with a focus on Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Probably going to advance to the Ph.D program, but I'll worry about that when I get there. I received a large scholarship, will probably cost me about $2500/semester for tuition, but Boston is expensive, so I'll definitely be working on the side during school (maybe local design firm? any connections anyone?). Will also be working on research on off shore wind turbines at the school with a great guy (Professor Edgers, who originally interested me in the program) that will probably end up leading to my thesis. So glad to be in the Boston area after spending four years in upstate New York (Troy) going to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Anyone else going to grad school in the Boston area? If so, any info. on local work while in school or apartments?

I'm headed to Harvard in the fall! Really excited, I love Boston. I'll probably live in grad student housing my first year, the price is right, and I don't think I can afford to rent an apartment on my stipend and also eat. As for jobs, I might see if I can find something part time on campus, perhaps as a research assistant.

ChrisC - Good call on staying in graduate student housing. I have a friend at Harvard right now and he has done it for the past 4 years. Actually he was able to get a position as a kind of resident assistant where he has tutor hours a couple times a week and gets his housing for free! I would look into that for sure.

I officially got my assistantship (TA 1st semester and RA second) from BU Materials Science and Engineering. I already have a place in Cambridge so no moving for me. Anyone who is moving into town and is at Harvard, MIT or BU should look into Allston and Brookline. They are decent neighborhoods and reasonably priced (for Boston). Somervile is also nice if you are going to Harvard or MIT. Cambridge is very nice, just a bit pricey.

yacobito- thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. Cambridge is certainly a bit pricey. Do you know where your friend found out about that? I checked on the harvard website and couldn't find anything.

ChrisC- I think it depends on the department you are in. He is in Physics and works/lives in a dorm that is predominately hard science majors. It may be something to ask your incoming advisor or something that gets advertised in school papers when available. Next time I see him I can ask how he figured it out.

• 2 months later...

Hi all! Just got accepted to Tufts Fletcher School for Jan 2010. Already live and work in Boston (Allston specifically), so no moving for me.

Any other Fletcherites out there?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use