How much does age matter?

I was told that attaining your Ph.D. at an age greater than your early 30's will hurt your job chances in academia, at least in the top schools. I'm 25 right now, considering going back for my Ph.D., but I think I might be able to compile a stronger application if I wait until next season to apply. I'm worried, though, about starting a program at the age of 27 and also about my chances of getting accepted by top schools at that age.

I would be applying to statistics programs, and I feel like I have a lot of independent research ahead of me, which I may or may not be able to feel good about by the time this coming season starts. Couple that with studying for the MGRE (which I think is a good idea to take to possibly wash over some sub-standard grades), and I'm in a bit of crunch.

So what do you think? How much does age matter?

strange, I actually haven't heard of age counting against you. I know for admissions, it works in your favor. I'm 29 now and will be starting a PhD in biomedical engineering this fall. My age and extra experience because of that were absolutely critical in my acceptances to some good programs. I have never heard of age hurting you in job opportunities within academia, but I am not that familiar with stats departments.

I'm worried, though, about starting a program at the age of 27 and also about my chances of getting accepted by top schools at that age.

ಠ_ಠ

Many graduate students start their PhDs in their late 20s.

You're 25! Still a baby :-)

Don't worry about waiting a year, if that's what you think would be best. There is no difference between being 26 versus 27. Age really doesn't become an issue for applications until you are in your 30s or 40s.

Good luck!

While it gets harder with age 27 is not old by any standards for a Doctoral program. Graduating with a PhD in your early thirties will not be an an employment issue either. Being prepared and ready are far more important. Working towards a PhD requires 100% commitment, a little extra time to be sure that you are ready will not harm you. Getting into a top program will not be hurt by your age. Many professors like to have students with a little extra real world experience under their belts since it usually means more commitment. FYI if you are worried think about starting your PhD at 53. Trust me its and interesting experience.

I realized that I would actually be starting at 28 if I waited a year. Maybe I should bone up on my simple arithmetic before applying to top statistics programs....

Anyway, after some consideration, I agree with what's been said thus far. I think one more year of preparation would trump the difference between entering school at 27 vs. 28.