are new TAs given a list of do's and do not's?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I haven't started grad school yet but I was just curious? I was wondering if TAs are kind of babied when they start off. I don't know exactly what the process is. I assume that if a TA teaches their own class (rather than assist a professor teach their class) they will have a professor or faculty member who oversees them. So does the overseer give the TA a list of rules? What to wear, how to give out grades, how to teach the class, which class rules to enforce, etc. Or is the TA allowed to run their class as if they were a tenured professor? Where is the line drawn?

All my TA positions so far have only involved grading, supervising labs, and offering tutorials and office hours. For the labs, however, the professor rarely shows up, so I'm pretty much on my own in deciding whether I'm going to teach something before students start the computer tasks (some classes require theoretical background that not all students have), or just walk around, see how each student is doing, and offer help when needed.

In the contract I sign before starting a new TA job, there are some rules that have mostly to do with ethical issues (e.g., don't share students' grades with random people -- obviously phrased differently, but I don't have a contract at hand right now). I've only TA'ed for my PhD advisor, and he's a jeans & T-shirt guy, and really not the kind who would tell me what to wear. But then, I also use common sense, and don't come to the labs/tutorials in sweatpants and a ripped T-shirt. ;) Usually I'm in jeans and some nicer T-shirt; these are 1st and 2nd/3rd year courses, and it's pretty clear that I'm older than the students without dressing up.

I discuss with my advisor the rules enforced in the lab, and I'm sure he gave me some guidance especially when I first started TA'ing (this year was my 5th), but he must have done it very gently, because I don't remember any specifics. I've had about one "problem student" every other year... the worst of them was one who was constantly checking the stock market data online during the lab. :rolleyes: However, 95% of the students are easy to work with, so it was enough to simply mention the "rules" at the beginning of the semester.

I think I always graded pretty much the way I thought was appropriate, and only asked for my advisor's help when it was clear that some students were copying, or when I was uncertain how something (mistakes, usually) should be graded. I remember that when I started TA'ing (as a 2nd year undergrad), my advisor used to ask me to write the grades in pencil, and I'm guessing he was taking a look over them. But he never made any negative comments about my grading, and I've been grading in red ink for the last 3-4 years.

It really depends on the program. Usually there is some kind of TA orientation event, either specific to your department or school-wide (in the latter case, usually covers stuff like ethics rather than specific teaching). New TAs are usually assigned to courses where there are other TAs, and usually they try to make sure experienced TAs are paired with new ones.

When you arrive at your new school, you will also probably get some contract, or a TA job description, or maybe some pieces of paper that go over TA guidelines. For everything else that's specific to a course (e.g. how to grade), your TA supervisor should give you guidance and if you are not sure -- don't be afraid to ask them or your other TAs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a new TA with questions too--for undergrad I went to an undergrad-only school so I had no idea what a grad TA's role was. I started both as a student and as a TA this summer quarter, so I had no orientation or anything. There will be an orientation before fall classes, so I guess I can ask then any questions I still have, and there is a TA handbook, but I feel like there are some things I don't know.

For example, I saw on some forum, can't remember whether it was this or another one, that one TA said he/she didn't recommend becoming Facebook friends with students. When I asked an experienced TA here about that she said oh no, you shouldn't do that. Not a written rule per se, but ethically prohibited. That's the kind of thing I just wouldn't have known if I hadn't happened to run into it--I used to become Facebook friends with profs back when I was an undergrad 5 years ago in the days when Facebook was a little different. And there are other things I feel like I don't know as well. Is all light socializing outside of class taboo? The other day I thought a student was about to follow me to lunch after class--would that have been a bad idea, for example? I have no idea...

Edited by lotuspetal7

lotuspetal,

It would depend on your school/department as to what's "taboo". But in general, you would want to maintain a professional relationship with your students while you are their TA. Being Facebook friends with them, having lunch with them, going to non department/school related social events (e.g. a house party) should probably be avoided. In addition, talking about your students in a public way (e.g. facebook status post) is also a bad idea -- you never know who would read it (someone could read over another's shoulder etc.). Also if you have office hours, never close the door so it's just you and students in the office. And try to hold office hours during the regular day so there's people around, etc.

Not saying that you can't have any social contact with them though. But it would be better if they also involved other people so it's not seen as "oh it's student X and their TA", or "there's that TA and his/her student". For example, at my schools, department happy hours sometimes involve undergrads too (drinking age is 19 in Canada, 18 in some provinces) and often the 3rd/4th year students (especially those who are doing research too) will join the grad students and profs at the bar/pub and it's a good time for all. I learned a lot about grad school, academia, etc. from talking with grad students and my profs outside of class.

Our roles as TAs are mainly to teach and grade their work, but we can be good mentors too, especially since we are probably more approachable than a prof. So, it's okay to socialize and get to know them but under the right/appropriate circumstances.

For example, you and your student having lunch together is probably not a good idea if it's just the two of you. But if a bunch of grad students were having lunch with a bunch of undergrads, then it's okay. If you are in the hallways and your students stops you to have a conversation, that's okay too of course, you don't have to turn around and run! If you're going to a social event (e.g. bowling with some of your grad student friends) and one of the students you are TAing shows up (let's say that student is a summer research assistant working with one of your grad student friends), that's okay too -- you don't have to leave the event because your student is there. Although you probably wouldn't want to get drunk in front of them.

Something less clear is when you become friends with a student (e.g. they joined your research group in the summer) and then later (the following fall/winter e.g.) they become your student. You might have already have them on facebook etc. You would probably have to be more careful on facebook (although most people have "work" related friends like profs on facebook too, so you wouldn't have to be more careful than that) and you should probably let the prof teaching the course know that this student is your friend (depending on how friendly you are).

Hope that helps you figure out what kinds of things are okay, and what aren't. If you aren't sure, it's probably best to just ask someone in the department! They will know what the norm is and I'm sure these questions are asked often.

Thanks a ton TakeruK! That does indeed give me a much better idea! I guess my common sense might be an okay guide after all because I guessed correctly for all the examples you posited. Really appreciate the thorough explanation!