I - 20 issue

mariajesse87

Hi all,

I am an international student who got accepted into the Justice studies for this Fall 2012. I have submitted all the required documents (Financial form, Bank Statement, and MMR test result) but I have not heard any news from the graduate school for the past 16 days. Now, I start to worried because I need the I-20 to issue my F-1 visa in my country. (Which takes couples of weeks as well and I need to be back to the States before August 20)

Has anyone ever have a similar issue? How long does it take to process the I-20???

I do need your advice and help. Thanks all :)

It shouldn't take more than a couple of days unless the school is particularly busy. Are you sure the documents have arrived at the school? international mail can take over 2 weeks to get to the states unless you sent them via DHL or the likes of it. If you're sure that the school has had your documents for 16 days then email and ask them about it.

Just as @Christa posted, it usually takes a couple of days to process the I-20 and what takes longer is the international mail. I would wait a few more days (it's still the beginning of June) and if I doesn't arrive send them an e-mail. If you're worried about running out of time (or you know that wait lists for the visa interviews are too long in your country) you can even offer to pay for expedited mailing. When my school processed my first I-20 there was a misunderstanding and it got delayed. I payed the extra money and got my I-20 in less than a week.

thank you Christa and Bumblebee,

I sent the documents directly to the graduate school while I was in the States. But now, I am in my home country and still had not heard anything from them. Couple of days ago, I asked the department staff to have a check on it. I hope it will be just fine.... :(

Take heart. I'm going home in a few days and I haven't got my I-20 yet. I need to get F-1 this month, so we'll see. Just keep calling and calling and make sure you can get to someone who will listen to and understand your particular situation. In many cases, schools (especially large grad programs) have to process I-20s and there is usually a queue. If you don't alert them to the urgency of your situation, they may just take their time (anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks). So let someone at the OIS/OISSS/ISS know that your situation needs immediate attention. Let's know how it goes!