Ph.d in Economics for ( Not math savvy!) and ( Not very diligent!) student! Is it possible

Bimba

Hello all,

Reading through this forum, it seems that my overall education seems to be on the bottom of the ladder lol With Bachelor degree in Education, took Business Calculus and Calculus I though, and MBA, is it easy to successfully pass the Phd in economics?

I have had GRE and scored 640 in the quantitive part and extremely low in the verbal due the fact English is my second language, not to mention not preparing well lol I spend about a month studying 2 hours daily! I'm not sure if that's enough ..

The company I work with ( non-profit In Europe) wants me to get a Phd in Economics, and they will pay for it but I have to work for them anther 6 years which I would love to do. To be honest I just had one introductory Econ class, and not that interested in Econ, but I would not miss the chance of getting paid and studying for 4 years for free!

I got accepted in a university that is NOT one of the top 100, or even 200 schools in the US!! but the faculty seems to be well educated.

I'm ok mathematically but not as good as other phd students I guess. Also, I know myself, I would not studying as hard as them! I never study as so-called ( Nerd ), always skipped classes, not a book-type student! but I do always pass with As and Bs which fine with me. I know I should change my habits a bit during the Phd but I think I would not be able to lol I'll be working online at the same time during my phd, so I don't really have a lot of time to focus on studying.

I would appreciate your thoughts about my case! should I do it, or shouldn't I? Do I really need Linear Algebra and Real analysis to that sort of schools, I'm talking not even ranked school. I'm taking micro and macro classes in small college here in Europe to know more before starting my Phd. I don't think I will take any Calculus or Linear algebra though!!

Side note, is there a website that have all schools ranked? I might find my school

Bestests

Hi Bimba, it's great that your employer is willing to invest in you like this. However, I don't see how you would make it through an econ PhD program as you've described it. If you don't like math and haven't studied more than calc 1, and you don't even like studying, or econ itself, the whole thing will be an enormous struggle. Also, I'm really, really surprised to hear you got into an econ program with just calc 1. I would definitely worry about whether the program is legitimate, or worth your time.

Maybe they would be willing to pay for you to study in an area you're actually interested in? That would work out better for everyone! Honestly, your deficiency with math and econ classes could be overcome with hard work and time, but the fact that you're not terribly interested in it seems like a deal-breaker to me.

Thanks Jeffster for your thoughts. I was readin here and there that I don't really need that much of math skills to pass the Phd in Economics especially from a school that's not among the top 100! The offer specifically ask me to do phd in Economics, I talked about doing Phd in Business ( non-profit) but the answer was no. So, either I do it or I'm missing the chance.

After reading more about Economics, it sounds interesting. However, I would not be able to spend more than 3 hours a day studying, I'm not sure if that's reasonable amount of time for a phd student in Economics.

Why do they want you to have a PhD in economics? So they can say they have an economics PhD (i.e. you'd be a figurehead?) Or because they actually need the skills an economics PhD would normally have? Which you seem determined to avoid getting ... I'm sorry, but your post reads like a joke. Is it one? I really hope you are not serious ...

Well ... I guess there are programs out there for all types. Since you have mentioned you are not going to a top school, maybe you'll be able to get through, even with your less than optimal attitude towards your studies. Good luck, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bimba,

Advanced linear algebra and analysis courses are nothing like Calc I and II - at all. The emphasize deductive proof writing, which you'll be doing an incredible amount of in a graduate program. Even at a lower ranked program which is *ultimately* producing empirical people (that is, running regressions), your micro and macro sequence will eat you alive. Considering the level of mathematical skills you're at now, you will need at least another year of mathematics to get ready for a low ranked program.

I suggest you take a look at some recent articles from the American Economic Review, and the National Bureau of Economic Research working papers series to see what you're getting yourself in to.

Doing a PhD in economics for any reason other than your own unflinching desire to study and conduct economic analyses at the professional level is not a good idea.

• 1 month later...

The company I work with ( non-profit In Europe) wants me to get a Phd in Economics, and they will pay for it but I have to work for them anther 6 years which I would love to do. To be honest I just had one introductory Econ class, and not that interested in Econ, but I would not miss the chance of getting paid and studying for 4 years for free!

I'm ok mathematically but not as good as other phd students I guess. Also, I know myself, I would not studying as hard as them! I never study as so-called ( Nerd ), always skipped classes, not a book-type student! but I do always pass with As and Bs which fine with me. I know I should change my habits a bit during the Phd but I think I would not be able to lol I'll be working online at the same time during my phd, so I don't really have a lot of time to focus on studying.

Not recommended for you to pursue a PhD.  Great that your employer is willing, but all PhD's are research intensive and require dedication.  Plus, the first two years are extremely heavy on mathematics, where you will need to demonstrate mastery of it.

Currently, I am wrapping up my MA program in economics from a state school int he US, who's emphasis is heavy on the applied econometrics side.  I would say given what you have written (not very advance in math and don't have the time to study) you would even have a difficult time barely making through an MA program.

Best of luck with your decision.