Help me interpret my scores

mban112

Trying to figure out the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Took GRE today:

167 verbal--happy with this

146 Quantitative--not so happy with this.

Applying to PH.D in theatre. Shooting high.

Help me put these scores in context. Could I get into a good school (Yale, Stanford) with shit Quantitative scores like that?

We need your percentile rank to interpret the scores. The score varies in its meaning from exam to exam, since the quartiles can change for each test, and many of us took the GRE back when each section was out of 800, so we don't necessarily have a reference point for what a "good" score is without those percentiles.

Also, most theater programs don't list scores of incoming applicants, so I'm not sure anyone cares how good you are at algebra and geometry even math majors haven't seen since high school. Actually I'm not sure they care much about verbal either. I suspect writing is much more important, which is not a score you posted, if they care about GREs at all. It seems like your portfolio, audition, and letters of reccomendation are orders of magnitude more important than test scores to drama programs regardless, so I'm not sure we can give you constructive feedback based on GREs.

I'd suggest writing the programs to find out what their average incoming class stats are and what they value in the admissions process.

Edited by Usmivka

There may be minimum score requirements depending on the university you are applying to...some schools want 50% or higher on the GRE.

Honestly, the quant score may be snaggle tooth. You may have to take the exam again.

The GRE will not get you into a program but the score results have the potential to keep you out of a program.

Good job on the verbal.

Thanks. My percentiles would be 98% in verbal; 40% in Quantitative...ugh. Not sure I can do much better on that math.

Not applying for the acting side, more the scholastic side.

Congrats on the verbal score!

How much time did you spend and what approach did you take towards study for the quant section before taking the test? If you're shooting for top programs it may be worth your while to study more/differently and retake shooting for >50% on the quant section, especially since you have a good long while before your applications will be due...

Do you/your faculty know anyone currently in a program like those to which you plan to apply? It would be nice if you can use an informal contact to feel out what portions of the application carry the most weight/whether there are GRE cutoffs.

I used every damn book, studied for a month in a half, and took every practice test I could find. I just really,really stink at math. I've been told my statement of purpose is very good and I am hopeful that my writing sample will also be above average. Please tell me that my lousy score in math is not the only thing that stands between me and getting accepted somewhere at least halfway reasonable. Give me hope.

Retake the quantitative? For a theater/drama PhD? Surely you jest.

To the OP, find the school of interest and look at what the emphasize in their admission procedure. It is more than likely that a quantitative score will not be noted, but the verbal will be. You're contributing to the cultural fabric - not building a rocket-ship to Taurus-IV.

I agree with ANDS! that the quant GRE score shouldn't matter much, if at all, for theater - however, some schools *will* take it into account, especially for campus-wide fellowships, and given the time you have before the 2013 season it is definitely worth doing a bit more research into how much a score <50th percentile will hurt your chances (if at all).

In your position I'd shoot polite emails to the contacts listed on some programs' websites asking how much weight the GRE, and especially the quant GRE, carry in admission decisions. As an example, Brown doesn't require the GRE for their MA, which is certainly a good sign for their attitude towards the GRE as part of a Ph.D. app. Best of luck!