Master's program with funding?

cilantro

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a Master's program in Psychology with funding (teaching assistantship, waived tuition etc...). Do you know of any program that you can suggest? I'm interested in Psychology and want to go for PhD, but at the same time, I also want to pinpoint my area of interest first before applying for the PhD. A Master's sounds like a good place to start, but it'd be tough for me to pay for the tuition myself. I'd appreciate any advice/hint/suggestion!

Finding a Masters program with funding is like looking for a needle in the haystack. The only one I have ever come across is the University of Tulsa (although I am sure there must be a couple of others out there).

Do you have any particular areas that you want to live in?

Based on my own experience-

Some schools I know of that provide partial or full funding, depending on the student: Brandeis University (my program- I got 50%), Wake Forest University (I got 100% and a TA position), The New School for Social Research (I got 50%).

Schools that fully fund their master's students if accepted (but it's very hard to get in): College of William & Mary, Boston College

Schools that offer NO funding, just so you can steer clear: Boston University, New York University

Edited by rockandroll

Schools that fully fund their master's students if accepted (but it's very hard to get in): College of William & Mary, Boston College

True, William and Mary does not accept people they can't afford to fund. You get a full tuition waiver plus a stipend, and usually summer funding as well. It's a pretty sweet deal and a great program. But because of that, it's gotten incredibly competitive. They only accept 6-9 people per year out of over 100 applications. There are 6 people in my cohort (graduated this year) and 7 in the incoming class for the fall.

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone! I'm not worried about the location. I want to do Psychology but don't want to jump in a PhD program right away without knowing what exact sub-field to pursue. I was thinking maybe getting a Master's would give me the chance to do a bit more research. I studied Psych in my undergrad, but has been RA-ing in Economics in the past 2 years.

Drexel (Philadelphia) has an M.S. program that- while not funded- gives some level of scholarships to most of the students. In addition, there are a few stipend positions avaialble for 2nd year students to help cover tuition. They also pay you for TA'ing classes. So while not as sweet as fully funded, it's a great program and probably worth checking out.