Maybe Dumb Question: What does an MFA TA do?

waitinginvain?

I have an interview for a TA position because they want to see "how ready I am for a TA-ship." What the heck does that mean? There's no way they would just throw me to the wolves, so to speak, and ask me to teach would they? I'm just entering the MFA Dramatic Writing program; this fall will be my first semester. In fact, I'm not even sure if I'm in the program yet. It's so crazy. I was rejected in April, then received an email last Saturday saying that someone dropped out and that they would like to admit me to the program, but some of the professors who don't know me would like to interview me first. (This is my alma mater, so I know most of the theatre professors.) The first interview is scheduled for this Friday and is in regards to the TA-ship. I don't have any other interviews scheduled yet. But, that's for another forum. Anyway, what DOES a TA do during their first semester? Thank you anyone, everyone.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

You'll probably teach Composition to freshmen. You'll either have your own class of about 30 students or you'll assist a giant 200 student lecture with a few other TAs. It depends on the classroom size of your university.

I need my TA's to be organized and assertive with students (because part of the job is wrangling undergrads so that they don't inundate the head prof. of the course with email and complaining). Also, you'll need to know how to do constructive critiques of work and to show students how to improve. This can be learned on the fly that first semester. So, in your interview just say that you are looking forward to helping students do the best work they can, and that you know how to manage your time so that the TA-ship will not derail your own graduate work. The best TA's are very autonomous and learn fast and help reduce the Prof.'s workload. Try to exude that in your interview and they'll think "This kid's great! He won't give us any trouble - hire him!" Feel free to send me an email if you need more help with the interview process...

@Waitinginvain

I just graduated from an MFA program and it depends on the department. 1st: You may not necessarily be teaching composition, some departments are completely separate from the English department and with "Dramatic Writing" it sounds like your department might be underneath the Theatre dept.

2nd: TAing in an MFA program might be just assisting the professor with their class (ie: grading, participating in the discussion and maybe leading a break out session to two...) BUT it could also mean leading a CRW 200 level class on your own. Most English/CRW TA's lead their own courses, it's not like it is in the sciences where you just help out (which is what Prof. Susan is talking about, this might not apply to your situation). So the department might very well but looking to see if you can handle your own class of undergraduates and the material you are expected to cover.

3rd: I would seek out some of the 2nd or 3rd (if applicable) year students and ask them their experiences, so you will be more prepared, and of course you can always just ask the faculty in the department exactly what your role will be.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished my MFA in Creative Writing last May (and at my school it's a 60-hour degree), so I have plenty of experience with your situation. My fellow MFAs and I were held to the same standard as the English MA/PhD TAs. We went through the same "boot camp," we shared offices, and we generally taught the same courses. The one exception was that the MFAs could apply to teach a section of lower-level undergrad creative writing courses, but you couldn't apply until your first year was over.

ALL of the first-year TAs at my school, regardless of their degree program, were required to teach Composition I. Keep in mind though, that our English department is the largest department on campus (with over 150 combined faculty and TAs), so this may not hold true for your school. Still, they won't "throw you to the wolves" as you put it, or at least they shouldn't. Most of my undergrad friends who have also entered grad school as TAs have had the same experience I had: clearly-defined instructions on teaching expectations, sample syllabi and assignments, small support groups led by a senior TA or faculty member, and often a required course about composition pedagogy. So if you do end up teaching this fall, you shouldn' feel completely unprepared. There are bound to be resources availble to you.

Good luck with the interview!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! I was accepted and am now officially a TA. However, I still don't know what my responsibilities will be. The professor won't tell me in an email. He said we will have to have a meeting (all of the TAs and him) to discuss it. : (