Distinctions between divinity schools versus religious studies housed in humanities?

Paraclete

Hi everyone! I was curious to see what everybody's conception were as to the differences between a divinity school versus religious studies are. What affected your decision to choose one over another, if you were not need to pick the former for seminary training to go into ministry? There are some obvious differences socially and academically, but these differences seem to fade away much more when we get to nondenominational, research-based divinity schools. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Your confusion is understandable, but like you've said, at most of the top schools there is little to no difference between divinity schools/degrees and religious studies/degrees. I only applied to the top schools so it was really a moot point. Feel free to pm me about the other topic

Your confusion is understandable, but like you've said, at most of the top schools there is little to no difference between divinity schools/degrees and religious studies/degrees. I only applied to the top schools so it was really a moot point. Feel free to pm me about the other topic

Agreed. Though I think at *most* big name Divinity Schools there will be a majority following a specific tradition. Exceptions exist, of course, like HDS or Chicago, but I think many of them will have a lot of Christians.

One example that comes to mind is Duke's MTS vs the MA in the Dept. of Religion. The MTS requires (as far as I know) its students to take part in some sort of spiritual formation. The MA does not (which is why I applied to for the MA). Since I'm not religious I did not apply to any programs such as this, though they do have excellent faculty.

As someone in biblical studies I am often asked why I am at a *seminary* (just graduated from BC's program) and not in religious studies program. The answer is really quite simple: (1) Divinity Schools usually offer a lot more aid (I am strictly speaking about masters' students) and (2) the faculty at many of the mainline religiously affiliated Divinity Schools are excellent (which in many cases may not follow the religious tradition of their Uni).

Edited by jdmhotness

At Chicago, Margaret Mitchell made it clear to me that the Divinity School is the religious studies program of the University. However, this is not the case at other schools. In general, the divinity school (or school of theology) is the professional school of a university, which is focused on training of people for various careers (not least ecclesiastical). These universities will often have their own religious studies programs that are housed in the graduate school and/or the undergraduate program, which are focused on formal academic training and preparation.

As I understand it, the difference between a seminary and a divinity school is that a seminary is not formally connected to a university (a la Princeton Theological Seminary, which is a separate entity from Princeton University) and a divinity school is a professional school of a university (a la Yale)—not that different that, say, a law school or something. Again, Chicago is the exception here.

If you want to be a clergyperson, attending a divinity or seminary would be ideal; if an academic, a religious studies program would be best. These are not strict rules by any means, but if you don't follow them, I imagine you will have to give an answer to the question, "if you want to be a pastor/professor, why did you choose to study at a religious studies program/divinity school?" many times.

At Chicago, Margaret Mitchell made it clear to me that the Divinity School is the religious studies program of the University. However, this is not the case at other schools. In general, the divinity school (or school of theology) is the professional school of a university, which is focused on training of people for various careers (not least ecclesiastical). These universities will often have their own religious studies programs that are housed in the graduate school and/or the undergraduate program, which are focused on formal academic training and preparation.

As I understand it, the difference between a seminary and a divinity school is that a seminary is not formally connected to a university (a la Princeton Theological Seminary, which is a separate entity from Princeton University) and a divinity school is a professional school of a university (a la Yale)—not that different that, say, a law school or something. Again, Chicago is the exception here.

If you want to be a clergyperson, attending a divinity or seminary would be ideal; if an academic, a religious studies program would be best. These are not strict rules by any means, but if you don't follow them, I imagine you will have to give an answer to the question, "if you want to be a pastor/professor, why did you choose to study at a religious studies program/divinity school?" many times.

I had no idea that PTS was not affiliated with Princeton University until now. Princeton's website also verifies this.

cheers

I had no idea that PTS was not affiliated with Princeton University until now. Princeton's website also verifies this.

cheers

While there's no official recognition, the people I've known that attended PTS have said it's in name only. That there's a lot of co-mingling with fellow students, faculty, and groups. From what I understand, taking a class at Princeton isn't that hard to accomplish either but perhaps someone from PTS can shine some light on it.

While there's no official recognition, the people I've known that attended PTS have said it's in name only. That there's a lot of co-mingling with fellow students, faculty, and groups. From what I understand, taking a class at Princeton isn't that hard to accomplish either but perhaps someone from PTS can shine some light on it.

When I was at PTS a couple of years ago, I took courses in History, Politics, and WWS/Sociology. Although they are separate institutions, they have an agreement to allow each other's students take courses. In recent years, there has been more collaboration between PTS and the Religion Department at PU.

Another distinction that will be more or less pronounced depending on the school is that seminaries and divinity schools more often than not specialize in the Christian tradition (or at most, the Abrahamic religions). Religious studies departments, on the other hand, tend to cover a wider bredth of the world religions. You probably won't get a class on the Christology of Jonathan Edwards in a religious studies department, nor are you likely to have a class on Hindu mysticism at a divinity school.

Edited by theo.phil.us

I'm not so sure that this is true. It seems to me that all Methodist divinity schools (Boston U., Candler, Claremont, Duke, etc.) have an official affiliation with their university, and are simply treated as a different school (like a School of Law/Medicine/Business/etc.). I have heard that this is the case for Candler and Duke from their prospective admissions representatives, anyways. This definitely IS the case, as you said, for other institutions, including PTS.