Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone wants to know about Hungary, I received a Hungary reply Monday in the mail from New York.

Thanks for posting this, becoo! I've applied to Hungary myself but live in Northern California, so no word yet but I'll be looking in the mail! Hope you got good news!

Mine from NYC was 8.5" x 11' Manila envelope with about 5 sheets of paper in it.

Mine was a smaller manila envelope (the 8.5"x11" papers inside were folded to fit), also with about 5 sheets of paper in it. The envelopes themselves seem to vary (I know someone who got a white envelope), but if you're trying to figure out if you'll know whether you got an acceptance before you open it, I'd say that a thick envelope is a good sign. Alternate and rejection letters are, according to some friends of mine, single sheets of paper.

Mine was a smaller manila envelope (the 8.5"x11" papers inside were folded to fit), also with about 5 sheets of paper in it. The envelopes themselves seem to vary (I know someone who got a white envelope), but if you're trying to figure out if you'll know whether you got an acceptance before you open it, I'd say that a thick envelope is a good sign. Alternate and rejection letters are, according to some friends of mine, single sheets of paper.

I got a white envelope (from Sweden) in addition to the manila envelope. But, in any case, perhaps all of the Europe envelopes from NYC (like mine and mkurti) are the same?

I don't know much about non-academia, sorry! But I don't know if anyone suggested this, but it seems like this is just the kind of thing that the Peace Corps is looking for. Have you looked into that?

Hey everyone-looking-for-abroad-experience:

An old professor just e-mailed this to me. The Foundation for Sustainable Development is looking for two Program Coordinators, hired as a fellowship, to work in Kenya. It seems solid entry-level international development experience. Here is the link for more information: http://www.fsdinternational.org/about/jobs/fellowships

Hey everyone-looking-for-abroad-experience:

An old professor just e-mailed this to me. The Foundation for Sustainable Development is looking for two Program Coordinators, hired as a fellowship, to work in Kenya. It seems solid entry-level international development experience. Here is the link for more information: http://www.fsdinternational.org/about/jobs/fellowships

From the job description:

Prior Experience: Minimum of two years living or working in a developing country. Minimum of two years working internationally or within a development organization or similar experience.

A good opportunity, but not exactly entry level.

I dont get jobs nowadays! they are looking for young college grads with experience. What expereince! My @$$ was stuck in the library 24/7 trying to write papers and research so I can land that good job. Now all my graduate dreams are flushed down the toilet and I am stuck with a 160K diploma that doesnt mean crap!

From the job description:

Prior Experience: Minimum of two years living or working in a developing country. Minimum of two years working internationally or within a development organization or similar experience.

A good opportunity, but not exactly entry level.

They all say that. The so-called "entry level development paradox." Trust me, put a good face forward in your application, letters, interviews, and show them you won't crack after 2 weeks in a developing country and want to go home, and you will have a fair shot.

I dont get jobs nowadays! they are looking for young college grads with experience. What expereince! My @$$ was stuck in the library 24/7 trying to write papers and research so I can land that good job. Now all my graduate dreams are flushed down the toilet and I am stuck with a 160K diploma that doesnt mean crap!

Just curious, why would you only apply to a single PhD program?

Because i couldnt meet the deadlines to the others, due to GRE testing. I was rejected because of my low GRE score (900)! Its a bummer but I mean thats life! Id rather publish some articles than study for that worthless test that doesnt measure anything. However, Fulbright could be my way out, gives me a chance to do some more research, and publish!

Because i couldnt meet the deadlines to the others, due to GRE testing. I was rejected because of my low GRE score (900)! Its a bummer but I mean thats life! Id rather publish some articles than study for that worthless test that doesnt measure anything. However, Fulbright could be my way out, gives me a chance to do some more research, and publish!

regardless of whether or not the GRE measures anything, it's the reality of applying to grad school. everyone who wants to get a PhD has to take it. and if you really want to continue publishing articles, you're going to need that PhD. the Fulbright isn't a "way out." the Fulbright is only one year. you're still going to need to apply to PhD programs if you want to keep researching and publishing. and i know people with significantly higher GREs who got into very few PhD programs even though they applied to over 10; PhD programs are just very competitive, and applying to only one does not even make sense. so suck it up, study for the GRE, and apply to more schools!! the rewards will be more than worth it.

They all say that. The so-called "entry level development paradox." Trust me, put a good face forward in your application, letters, interviews, and show them you won't crack after 2 weeks in a developing country and want to go home, and you will have a fair shot.

true - my roommate applied for and got this exact fellowship and she certainly hasnt been living internationally for the past two years.

I just got back from the doctor setting up my medical clearance. Eeeek. With all the required tests and physical (none of which is covered by by student insurance), the total cost is over $350.

I am curious whether Fulbright helps out at all with this? I think probably not...

I just got back from the doctor setting up my medical clearance. Eeeek. With all the required tests and physical (none of which is covered by by student insurance), the total cost is over $350.

I am curious whether Fulbright helps out at all with this? I think probably not...

I dont think Fulbright gives any money towards the medical exams...the letter from IIE specifically says "Please note that any costs you incur in completing the health certificate will not be reimbursed"

I know I've posted this before, but check with your university. My university told me to have the doctor bill me as though I had no insurance and then just give them the bill. Universities relish in having fellowship winners, especially international fellowship winners, so they don't want you to become indebted due to this. Just express some concern and maybe they'll help out.

Today, I received a letter from IIE informing me that I am an alternate for Nepal. I had a job offer in India, but three days ago the organization rescinded the offer because I was taking too long to tell them whether or not I was accepting the job (because I was waiting to hear about the Fulbright). Now I have neither a research grant in Nepal nor a job in India. In fact, I now have no plans for next year. FML.

remember that sad post? well, i just got a phone call--they are offering me the job again! apparently the next person they offered it to turned it down. but now i don't know what to do. should i turn down the job to wait out the alternate thing, with the risk of having no plans for next year, or should i take the job and withdraw from the alternate list, giving up any chance i have at the Fulbright? i don't know what to do! (if i knew my position/number on the alternate list, this decision would be a lot easier to make.) what would you guys do in this situation?

We should really consolidate this thread into some kind of easy to read statistics.. especially for alternates now and the predictably frantic people next year. I mean, who wants to read all 45 pages -- and who knows how many this will end up being? -- to find out the rough chances (for example) of getting off the alternate list for the Netherlands?

Right now I'm an alternate for Research Germany, and (for another example) I'd like to know if any have been moved up to principal status since I've read at least two ETA Germany alternates have. But it would be much easier for me to find that out if there were such a list, such as a series of lines that read: [ETA or Research] [Country]: x1 accepted, x2 rejected, x3 accepted from alternate, x4 rejected from alternate, x still alternates. Then when you personally find out something you can just update the master list by adding 1 to the appropriate spot and posting it.

I'd expect there'd be a kind of selection against posting rejections, but I think it's a lot more useful than what we have now. The list might get kind of long and it might be better to just update by country or area instead of updating EVERYTHING.

Research Germany: x1 accepted, x2 rejected, x3 accepted from alternate, x4 rejected from alternate, 1 still alternates

I was talking to my fulbright adviser and she said that she heard that there are as many alternates for the research grant as there are grantees. so, it would be really helpful to find out where you are on the list.

remember that sad post? well, i just got a phone call--they are offering me the job again! apparently the next person they offered it to turned it down. but now i don't know what to do. should i turn down the job to wait out the alternate thing, with the risk of having no plans for next year, or should i take the job and withdraw from the alternate list, giving up any chance i have at the Fulbright? i don't know what to do! (if i knew my position/number on the alternate list, this decision would be a lot easier to make.) what would you guys do in this situation?

nemolover: TAKE THE JOB!!!

To Euro alternates: I e-mailed the European Program Manager (Rachel Holskin), and she will indeed give you your position on the alternate waitlist. It took her a few days to respond, but understandably so, as she is probably extremely busy right now. Don't give up hope just yet!

To Euro alternates: I e-mailed the European Program Manager (Rachel Holskin), and she will indeed give you your position on the alternate waitlist. It took her a few days to respond, but understandably so, as she is probably extremely busy right now. Don't give up hope just yet!

Nemolover, congratulations! If I were you, I would call your program manager and ask very nicely if there is any way they can tell you your position on the alternate list. Explain your situation, tell them the Fulbright is your #1 choice, but that you've been given a second chance with another very worthy opportunity and that you feel knowing this information will help you make the best, well-informed decision you can. If you are at the bottom half of the list, take the job, move on, and re-apply next year (you'll probably get the spot); if you are one of the tops on the alternate list, then ask them if they will give you an estimate of how many of the alternates in the past have been moved to principal status. Think of them as an "ally" here in your decision making; they won't be able to give you any "advice" on what to do, but if you are kind and courteous, perhaps you can get some "statistics" from previous years that can help you make your decision.

Regardless, I'm thrilled for you that you were re-offered the job...that is GREAT news, and you should be very proud. It looks like no matter what happens you will have a wonderful year abroad!!! Best wishes!

Nemolover, congratulations! If I were you, I would call your program manager and ask very nicely if there is any way they can tell you your position on the alternate list. Explain your situation, tell them the Fulbright is your #1 choice, but that you've been given a second chance with another very worthy opportunity and that you feel knowing this information will help you make the best, well-informed decision you can. If you are at the bottom half of the list, take the job, move on, and re-apply next year (you'll probably get the spot); if you are one of the tops on the alternate list, then ask them if they will give you an estimate of how many of the alternates in the past have been moved to principal status. Think of them as an "ally" here in your decision making; they won't be able to give you any "advice" on what to do, but if you are kind and courteous, perhaps you can get some "statistics" from previous years that can help you make your decision.

Regardless, I'm thrilled for you that you were re-offered the job...that is GREAT news, and you should be very proud. It looks like no matter what happens you will have a wonderful year abroad!!! Best wishes!

I WOULD take the job - you can always re-apply to fulbright..it will give you good experience and place you into an area you are interested - remember how sad you were that you didnt take the job when you found out you were an alternate..regardless of where you were on the list, I would still take the job.

I'm already looking into alternatives as well, its not fulbright but it looks like im going to teach somewhere in Asia, Korea or Japan. It will give me the experience I want - regardless of if its fulbright or not :) Good luck! Great new for you.

To echo what others have said: take the job! Bear in mind that, depending on the details of the job, you may still be able to take the Fulbright if offered it -- You have to start the Fulbright within a certain period of time, but there is a wide window; I have friends who have started their Fulbrights in January and February rather than August. So if the job is something you could leave with several months notice, you could still take the Fulbright if offered it. If not, you can always reapply next year, and making more contacts in South Asia can't hurt your chances.