Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied to Mexico and I'm assuming they forwarded their choices to NY this week. Does anyone have any idea when we're supposed to hear back about FSB approval or outright rejections? I really want to know, but my adviser forbade me from calling.

This thread is great - it's so good to be able to commiserate with people who understand this insane process and the neverending waiting!

Good to luck to everyone, definitely keep us posted on results!

This process is way too long. Most of what happens with decisions is sort of a secret. I mean your advisor knows but not much. Im happy for the people that have recieved their decisions whether it was good or bad, because it provided closure.

I called Europe advisor again and she confirmed what she had been saying all along, letters for Europe are ONLY mailed out on Wednesdays. I guess I have to wait till next week, or the week after that, or the week after that....on and on....

Good luck guys, make sure you post acceptances and rejections, its the only way other people will know that news is coming!

I am currently waiting for the HK ETA results in the mail so I've been toggling between this forum and the Fulbright forum on facebook. From what I know, just in case people here aren't on facebook:

- A grant to Norway was awarded

- An alternate to Peru was awarded (doesn't specify what type of grant)

- An ETA to Slovakia was awarded

- An ETA to Indonesia was awarded

Now, I believe that they are telling everyone a date that it should be received by, which means that it could come earlier than that. If they were to tell us the actual date and something happened where we didn't receive it that day, I am sure they'd get an onslaught of emails from people worried. So I think it's a way of preventing that from happening. I think its procedural for them to tell us to wait much longer than we have to. I had emailed Jonathan the HK advisor and he said mid-April because historically that's when they were received. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that last year it was received the last week of March, first week of April. My fulbright advisor on campus also said that it should be here by the 30th or 31st of March. Now, if she was unsure, she wouldn't have given me exact dates. I mean, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but the dates that they are telling us, based on what I've noticed, is a bit later than what usually happens.

I found a few previous Fulbrighters to South Asia through Facebook and they said that hey recieved their final acceptance around Easter time. One person gave me a specific date of April 20th. I'm assuming it'll be the same this year- another three weeks seems like forever!

Yeah, from what I gathered from our Fulbright adviser, once its in the hands of the host country, nobody knows what happens and even if the advisers might be able to get some "inside" (therefore, early) info about the secondary step (when our apps are sent to NY from our school). Waiting is agony not to mention frustrating--for us and for the unfortunate souls having to be around us while we wait!

By the way, do we know for sure that the NY office sends the letters via first class/priority post like a previous post states, or will they do regular mail (which takes much longer)?

I think those that have applied to Europe will recieve some information the next week. I mean it looks good. I really think that what the program manager for europe said was true that for Europe they mail out acceptances on Wednesdays

This is a good website to calculate the day best to check your email. http://postcalc.usps.gov/ just type in regular envelop and put your zip code and their zipcode is 10017

I was bored one day and I thought this might be a good way to pass the time.

I wish everyone the best of luck, since I kno that this is a anxious time!

I promised myself I would abstain from discussion boards, knowing that my anxiety would only heighten given my (our) powerlessness over the decision from this point forward...but I can no longer contain myself! Perhaps I should have caved in earlier as I'm now learning many of the answers to the questions I've been asking myself all along. So thanks for sharing your experiences.

Any applicants to the Netherlands on here--moreover, any NL applicants who have learned their fate?

Good luck to everyone, and congratulations to those who have already received their good news!

I am currently waiting for the HK ETA results in the mail so I've been toggling between this forum and the Fulbright forum on facebook. From what I know, just in case people here aren't on facebook:

- A grant to Norway was awarded

- An alternate to Peru was awarded (doesn't specify what type of grant)

- An ETA to Slovakia was awarded

- An ETA to Indonesia was awarded

What's the name of this Fulbright group on Facebook? Since all the time I'm wasting on this forum isn't enough... :D

What's the name of this Fulbright group on Facebook? Since all the time I'm wasting on this forum isn't enough... :D

It's called 'Fulbright' lol I need to stop obsessing over this darn scholarship as if my life depends on it. :o(

To urbanite:

Yes, I am kinda getting concerned that I won't find out before April 15...when I have to make decisions about grad school too! Eeek. Gosh Taiwan, hurry it up! :)

Congrats to all of you out there that have already found out!

Fulbright finalist from India for a graduate MPP in US. Anyone out here has an idea on when the decisions for study programs in US will be sent out by Fulbright NewYork? I've been checking email at least 5 times everyday...no leads yet! :cry:

Hi everyone,

I just got word on Thursday that I'm going to South Korea as an ETA. Like someone else said, it came in a DHL package. Anyone else going to S. Korea, feel free to contact me :)

Good luck to everyone else :)

Did everyone else who got accepted (to countries other than South Korea) receive a DHL package? The address I gave in my application is a PO Box that doesn't accept DHL (or Fedex or UPS) packages, because I assumed the letter would be sent through USPS...

Hey everyone,

Like I said before, I found a few Fulbrighters to South Asia (specifically Sri Lanka) that I've been keeping in touch with through Facebook. Most of them said that they heard back about final acceptance in Mid-April (around the 20th) but I just heard from another Fulbrighter who said that she actually found out in March. She also said that the Fulbright organization is pretty unorganized and final notices can be pretty random. :(

Gosh, I just wanna know!!!

Hi folks --

I received note today that I've been named an alternate for Ecuador. The letter came from IEE directly via USPS.

I applied for the research FB, to conduct a project examining social and civic education at a school there.

IM me for more info (@hotmail.com)

Be well,

c