What if in the TOEFL iBT I scored lower than I should?

Michaliskh

hello guys

I have taken the TOEFL scores and my results is 85. should I re-take the exam again or the university will look holistically my application? Btw my GPA is 3.751...

What do I have to do?

What do the university websites say? Mine says you need a minimum of 79, so you'd be above that, with a minimum score of 21 on the Writing section and 19 on the Reading section. If your speaking is low you may need to do an extra test / follow an extra course before you'd be allowed to work as a TA.

Also, do you think you'd do better next time? Were you sick, or did the test surprise you in some way, or did you panick? If not, if this is a fairly good estimate of what you'd get next time (if a bit higher because you'd be more used to it) I don't think taking it again would be useful.

So, take it again if:

* You think you'd do much better

* You need a higher score to make the cut-off

I have taken a score of 85. 17 on the reading section, 22 at the listening, 24 speaking and 22 at the writing.

The college I am interested in need at least 21 at each section and a cut off 90. I will probably do some lessons to increase my reading speed...

Comments on that?

Edited by Michaliskh

In that case you should definitely retake it, or you won't even make the first cut.

You should probably try to improve every section, but yes, particularly reading. Did you not have enough time to read? Or did you have trouble picking out the important points of the text? Either way, try to read a lot of English to get used to it.

You were allowed pen and paper, right? Write down the main points of a text for yourself. Work on general reading comprehension - how are texts laid out, where can you usually find the main points, etc. Many of the GRE prep books deal with these questions too, and those texts are more difficult than the TOEFL texts, so you would feel comfortable during the TOEFL because it will be easier than you're used to.

Try to immerse yourself in English before you take the test (I spent a weekend with a friend and we only spoke English).

To be blunt though: I found the TOEFL very easy. Especially the reading section was very basic. If you have this much trouble maybe you should do a language immersion program in an English speaking country before you start studying in English?

Its just that I didnt have enough time to respond to the questions and then review them back.

I will probably start reading the IELTS rather the TOEFL since, as far as I heard, the IELTS are easier than the TOEFL