Researching Programs/Schools

zaazie

I'd like to use this site to find out more about what programs and schools to apply to... where do I find this? The "application" section seems to be mostly about once you already know WHERE you want to apply, but just figuring out which programs might be right for me has become a hugely daunting task and is where I am now stuck.

I want to learn more about programs, the differences between types of programs, etc. I am interested in a PhD in Sociology but really want to know how people figure out which programs are right for them. Like, given my interests in international studies and political economy, maybe I should be looking at anthropology programs too? Or maybe some of both?

Should I just post this as a new thread elsewhere on the site? Can anyone tell me if there is some subsection I've missed that talks about choosing schools to apply to? Thank you!

I found it very useful to talk to ask my professors useful, especially the ones that work in the field that I'm interested in. They were very helpful, because they were familiar with the research groups at different universities. Also try looking at the profiles of the research groups yourself at random universities (maybe go by some rankings?) to see if they are working on anything that you are interested in.

I don't really see how this forum will help you that much, because we don't really know you that well! Everybody else here found out where they should apply by doing a lot of research. That means painstakingly looking through a LOT of university's websites and a LOT of professor's websites.

I am getting in touch with professors I had a relationship with about this (graduated a year ago), and am also beginning the yes, truly painstaking process of combing through websites. Was just wondering if other seasoned gradecafers could point me to forums about this topic. Thank you both!