I want to go to graduate school (help/need advice)

avidman

I want to start off by saying this might be the wrong place in making this thread, so with that being said, don't stone me.

Hello everyone. So, this is my first time ever posting, and boy, do I need help. I want to go to graduate school and I want to get into a Ph.D program. Personally, I think I just need reassurance/some other synonymous word to would hopefully make me feel better.

For starters, I don't think I am ready, nor qualified to even get into graduate school, but I don't really know much about it. I am the first in my family to ever go to college, so I have a lot riding on my shoulders.

Here are my specs:

BS. Undergraduate - University of Connecticut

Major(s) - Psychology, Cognitive Science

GPA: Psych- 3.813, CogSci- 3.825, Overall- 3.553 <<all gpa subject to change.

GREs: Haven't taken, but I predict V:400-500, Q-630ish, and AW:4-5?

3 Semesters of Undergraduate Research

NSF Summer Internship in Compassion

As for my GPA, I didn't try my first year simply because I was homeless and had a pretty crappy life all around. I am a minority, and a dirt poor one at that. I am alive today because I made the right decisions and got lucky when it came to not dying.

Personally, I want to go into a Ph.D program in the neuroscience of morality/emotion/intuition/affective neuroscience.

The schools I am considering are the following:

Stanford

Harvard University

Yale

Columbia

Cornell

University of Chicago

UC-Boulder

Brown

UMass

Boston College

I know I am aiming high, but hey -- a boy gotta dream, right? Anyways, I really hope someone could give me the low-down and/or some advice and/or words of encouragement and/or a hug.

Work on improving your GRE -- your estimated scores don't seem very competitive. The rest of your record seems OK :)

The GRE scores are based off of my SAT scores. My advisor said they correlate highly, so that was my best guess. However, I have been studying and I am well aware of my strengths and weaknesses when it comes to the GREs. If I study hard enough, I believe I can break 700 for the quantitative section. As for the verbal, I am naturally terrible at this section. If I study hard enough, I may be able to break the 600 mark, which would be great in my book.

Personally, I want to go into a Ph.D program in the neuroscience of morality/emotion/intuition/affective neuroscience.

The scores etc may not stand in your way, if you've already done some interesting work in the areas you mention, ie prove your interest. If you haven't done any work, find out the research interests of the professors at the universities you seek admission for, and find someone whose interests matches yours. Then go off and do some related reading, thinking and if possible, research. Write up this research, and use it in your application. Show how the PhD will further your own research interests, and that of your professor(s).

So, this is my first time ever posting, and boy, do I need help. I want to go to graduate school and I want to get into a Ph.D program. Personally, I think I just need reassurance/some other synonymous word to would hopefully make me feel better.

For starters, I don't think I am ready, nor qualified to even get into graduate school, but I don't really know much about it. I am the first in my family to ever go to college, so I have a lot riding on my shoulders.

Talk to your school's career center. Do a few Google searches. Ask your professors - preferably the ones who will write your recommendation letters.

You need to do a lot of soul searching while applying for the Ph.D. Is the Ph.D. something you really want? How will it help you accomplish your goals?

Here are my specs:

BS. Undergraduate - University of Connecticut

Major(s) - Psychology, Cognitive Science

GPA: Psych- 3.813, CogSci- 3.825, Overall- 3.553 <<all gpa subject to change.

GREs: Haven't taken, but I predict V:400-500, Q-630ish, and AW:4-5?

3 Semesters of Undergraduate Research

NSF Summer Internship in Compassion

Your "specs" are fine.

With regards to the GRE, don't base it off your SAT scores. ETS has free practice test software called POWERPREP that you can download and install. POWERPREP is basically practice GREs. Take them. They correlate strongly to the actual GRE.

Also, don't worry about the Analytical Writing section of the GRE.

As for my GPA, I didn't try my first year simply because I was homeless and had a pretty crappy life all around. I am a minority, and a dirt poor one at that. I am alive today because I made the right decisions and got lucky when it came to not dying.

My understanding is that adcoms look favorably upon applicants who succeed in the face of adversity or make mistakes and then turn themselves around.

The majority of people who get into grad school have at least one (if not more) parts of their application that they thought would doom them...and they still got in. Just from hearing bits and pieces of your story, I think you have a great Statement of Purpose just waiting to be written! I agree with victor: ad comms love a success story fueled by determination.Use this to your advantage. If you can produce some GRE scores, I think your chances of getting in somewhere are good. I would, however, recommend applying to some more mid-tier and safety schools. It is great to shoot for the stars and apply to some dream schools, but it is also important to leave yourself some wiggle room by keeping your options open at some less prestigious (albeit still good) schools. Especially in psychology, research fit is everything....so concentrate on finding faculty with complementary interests. Best of luck to you!

Thanks a ton everyone! I feel a lot better and I realize what I have to do in order to succeed.

Much love!

Edited by avidman

Also, don't worry about the Analytical Writing section of the GRE.

If an only if you get 4.0 (48%?) or above. Anything below that number will hurt your application (specifically to the ivies).

If an only if you get 4.0 (48%?) or above. Anything below that number will hurt your application (specifically to the ivies).

I got a 4.0, and I didn't have any problems. The AW test doesn't measure your writing ability, only your ability to conform to a standard form that ETS came up with.

If you have an undergraduate thesis and possibly published papers...or other evidence that you are capable of communicating in written English in a cogent and coherent manner...you should be fine.

I would, however, recommend applying to some more mid-tier and safety schools. It is great to shoot for the stars and apply to some dream schools, but it is also important to leave yourself some wiggle room by keeping your options open at some less prestigious (albeit still good) schools. Especially in psychology, research fit is everything....so concentrate on finding faculty with complementary interests. Best of luck to you!

Yes--this is really important. Are these schools on your list because they are "the best" or because they have professors you want to work with and promote work in fields that you share an interest in? It's best to have a range of 8-12 schools in various ranking "tiers" (i.e. 2-3 ivies, 3-4 top 30, 3-4 top 50, and maybe 1-2 top 100). Really research the programs and professors and the climates of the departments. Once you've narrowed your list, see if you can talk to some current students. The more you know about the school, and the department specifically, the better your application can be to that department (and the better your chances).

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 4.0, and I didn't have any problems. The AW test doesn't measure your writing ability, only your ability to conform to a standard form that ETS came up with.

If you have an undergraduate thesis and possibly published papers...or other evidence that you are capable of communicating in written English in a cogent and coherent manner...you should be fine.

http://bbs.yale.edu/apply/faq.aspx

What are the average GPA and GRE scores of admitted students?

The BBS Program does not publish GPA or GRE data on our applicant pool. Our main guideline to applicants is that although a high GPA and high GRE scores are attractive to admissions committees, they do not guarantee admission. On the other hand, GPAs below 3.0 and GRE scores below 500 Verbal, 500 Quantitative, or 3.0 Writing are detrimental to your application.

Edited by Obsedian

It's a $175 test. My recommendation is to take it now just to see what you get. The scores are good for 5 years (I think).

I consider myself terrible in math (just some basics with last math class over 6 years ago) and a tad above average in English. I took the test today with ZERO STUDYING TIME and got a 150 on verbal and 147 quant. If you are smart you should pull close to a 160 in verbal and if you are good in math 160....That is what I think.

And if you do poorly don't get too upset because you have plenty of years to take it again. And on the trial run if you do great then one less thing to worry about!