Tuition during dissertation?

miratrix

In a PhD program, do you still pay tuition after you've finished classwork, taken the qualifying exams, and started your dissertation? I assumed it was for the entire graduate program, but I heard from a friend doing an unfunded MA that she only paid tuition for the year she was taking classes, and isn't paying it for the two years spent studying for comps and writing the thesis. Also, I got an acceptance with funding that only provides tuition relief for the first two years, which makes me wonder if after that they expect you to pay it out of the same size stipend, or they just don't charge you. It may vary from program to program, but what have you all seen?

I think I would assume I would get to keep my tuition waiver even if I lose my stipend but that could way off.

However, even if you do have to pay tuition it would be a lot less than otherwise since you generally just need to take the minimum to stay matriculated. So it would be like 1-3 credits, plus hopefully you would be in state by then (if at a state school).