English composition teaching suggestions

I'm starting my PhD program next month and will be teaching for the first time. I have the freedom to use any texts I want in my two composition classes, however I feel some apprehension about the possibility of choosing materials which suit my reading tastes but may not be useful or appealing to my students. Would anyone minding sharing what criteria you used for selecting texts for your courses? Were there any specific or types of texts which turned out to be problematic for your classes? Lastly, do you have any general advice for teaching a composition class?

I've been teaching composition for three years and rather enjoy it. I have lots of advice (but limited time at the moment). I'll just give a few tips:

1) Make sure they do a lot of in-class writing exercises. The class shouldn't be you lecturing to them about how to write, and then sending them off to do some assignment. Yes, they should have out-of-class assignments, but lots in class too.

2) Alternate pretty frequently between you talking and them doing. e.g. have them work in groups to discuss a reading, have them practice a thesis statement, have them brainstorm ideas for a paper, have them start an introduction. And have them share what they wrote with the class. They stay awake more when there are tasks to do...

3) If you have a class that is quiet and not opening up to discussion, have them "free write" their thoughts on the reading, or topic, first. Students aren't able to just come up with ideas at the moment you ask a question. They need time to think, and having them write for five minutes about the question you've posed gives them the time to think.

4) Be sure to save student papers (xerox copy them or keep electronic copies) for use as "samples" to your future classes. My students really get a lot out of it when we "critique" a past student paper (anonymously). They are so much more likely to tear into / honestly critique a paper from a past student who's nameless and not in the class. They aren't worried about hurting feelings, so they're brutal (but effective). This is in contrast to how they act when in peer review with each other (overly polite, not getting any good critique in).

More later!

Edited by claire56

I'm starting my PhD program next month and will be teaching for the first time. I have the freedom to use any texts I want in my two composition classes, however I feel some apprehension about the possibility of choosing materials which suit my reading tastes but may not be useful or appealing to my students. Would anyone minding sharing what criteria you used for selecting texts for your courses? Were there any specific or types of texts which turned out to be problematic for your classes? Lastly, do you have any general advice for teaching a composition class?

Claire56 gave you a ton of fantastic general teaching advice, so I'll respond to your question about textbooks. Here are a bunch of scattered notes to consider:

• What kind of book do you want? Do you want an anthology with loads of classic and contemporary essays, but no writing instruction? Do you want a book that features both writing instruction and essays? Do you want a workbook to go along with an anthology? Your teaching style will direct this. For example, I dislike direct writing instruction. I prefer students practice and discover their own writing techniques, rather than me prescribe them, so I typically find an anthology with essays and minimal writing instruction.
  • Will your class have a theme? If your class will center around a theme, you'll want a textbook that offers essays on said theme.
  • Cost. I urge you to consider the cost of the textbooks. Most publishers have fantastic "budget" books that feature similar material as the more expensive books.
  • Don't be afraid to supplement. If you can't find the perfect book, that's fine. Pick one that's close, and then supplement with articles, songs, videos, etc. You can post them on a class website or hand them copies in class.
  • I try to find a textbook that features some classics but also some more contemporary essays that students can relate to. Also, I always select textbooks that feature authors from diverse backgrounds. It's important that my students see themselves in at least one essay that we read.
  • Contact a representative from a textbook publisher. If you tell them what you are looking for, typically they will send you free instructor copies. It's nice to peruse through them when creating a class.
  • Have fun with it, and know that you can change the book next semester. My whole first year was an incredibly valuable learning experience. I am so glad that I took (educated) risks in my classroom. I've learned just as much from my failures as I have from my successes.
  • Oh! Lastly, a good textbook will should have a clear table of contents, index, author bios, and organization. This should be a given, but sadly, it isn't!

Edited by proflorax

4) Be sure to save student papers (xerox copy them or keep electronic copies) for use as "samples" to your future classes. My students really get a lot out of it when we "critique" a past student paper (anonymously). They are so much more likely to tear into / honestly critique a paper from a past student who's nameless and not in the class. They aren't worried about hurting feelings, so they're brutal (but effective). This is in contrast to how they act when in peer review with each other (overly polite, not getting any good critique in).

Also, THIS. For your first semester, you can always find samples online or use some from your own undergrad days. But authentic student papers are always the best!

Thanks for the advice, proflorax! I especially appreciate your note about supplementary materials, because, for some reason, I was only thinking about essays and completely overlooking songs, videos, and non-written texts. Now, I'm starting to get excited about putting together the materials for this class.