Material Science PHD fall 13

ankurshah

I probably won't until right up before the deadline since Yale's visitor's weekend is April 5-6. Wish I could know earlier, but that's just how things turn out. Oh well, it gives the schools I haven't heard from time to surprise me with a wonderful offer.  ^_^

edit: Congrats everyone, we've made this a "HOT" topic! 

Edited by foreverfree

seems like there is a cornell admit in the result sectino. I assume is would  be the above poster, lion hunter.

Does any one have an admit or news o asmits coming out?

Those who have been accepted to UIUC, any of you going to the grad visit weekend next week? Also has anyone heard from U of Washington, the results page is suspiciously quiet.

Edited by Trekky

Those who have been accepted to UIUC, any of you going to the grad visit weekend next week? Also has anyone heard from U of Washington, the results page is suspiciously quiet.

I won't be, though I might stop by when I visit Northwestern. Which professors are you meeting with?

Oops. Continued here..

If there have been a rejects, then I think they are seeing how much money is available for what research areas for the remaining applicants...

Called berkeley yesterday. They said they were still finalizing decisions >__>... and we should expect something in the next 1-2 weeks. eek!

my friend said the visit is march 7-10 so i'm not sure what that means :(

I won't be, though I might stop by when I visit Northwestern. Which professors are you meeting with?

I would like to meet with Professor Martin, Professor Shim and Professor Rockett. You?

I would like to meet with Professor Martin, Professor Shim and Professor Rockett. You?

Probably the same three as well as Professors Weaver and Kriven...the latter actually emailed me about working with ferromagnetics/multiferroics. My interests are in photonic and/or electromagnetic properties of nano/low-d materials. UIUC has a good deal of the latter, but not so much of the former, which is why I'm leaning towards my other schools at the moment, though I think research group chemistry is probably more important to me than the specific area--there's still plenty of time to branch out!  :lol:

Probably the same three as well as Professors Weaver and Kriven...the latter actually emailed me about working with ferromagnetics/multiferroics. My interests are in photonic and/or electromagnetic properties of nano/low-d materials. UIUC has a good deal of the latter, but not so much of the former, which is why I'm leaning towards my other schools at the moment, though I think research group chemistry is probably more important to me than the specific area--there's still plenty of time to branch out!  :lol:

Yeah I'm really interested in photonic materials as well, which is why I'm sort of leaning towards staying at CSM with NREL so close.

Anyone still at "submitted" for Berkeley? I'm fortunate to have gotten into some other great places, but would like some closure...

Same here. Especially since their visit is in a week...

Any news from Brown, Boston University, U of Washington, or Drexel? My application status is "submitted" to all of these schools and haven't heard anything from them yet...I am just getting a little bit nervous. is no news a good sign or a bad one? 

Edited by avirgo

Any news from Brown, Boston University, U of Washington, or Drexel? My application status is "submitted" to all of these schools and haven't heard anything from them yet...I am just getting a little bit nervous. is no news a good sign or a bad one? 

Have you checked the results page?  For what it's worth, I got into one place on March 1st, so late news is not necessarily always bad.  

Have you checked the results page?  For what it's worth, I got into one place on March 1st, so late news is not necessarily always bad.  

Yes, 10 times a day I am checking both my online application status and results page...just one from Boston and one from Brown...

By the way, may I ask you about your GPA (MS and BS) and GRE scores? I am interested in them because it seems that you have been accepted to Northwestern, Cornell and Georgia Tech, When did you received Northwestern result? Are you an International student? and finally did you have any contacts with professors or you just applied?

Yes, 10 times a day I am checking both my online application status and results page...just one from Boston and one from Brown...

By the way, may I ask you about your GPA (MS and BS) and GRE scores? I am interested in them because it seems that you have been accepted to Northwestern, Cornell and Georgia Tech, When did you received Northwestern result? Are you an International student? and finally did you have any contacts with professors or you just applied?

My background makes me rather easily identifiable, so unfortunately I don't feel comfortable putting my exact stats up.  But to answer your question as best as possible - My GPA was 3.6-3.8ish (lower than many people here it seems, haha), my GREs were pretty high though.  I definitely did not have connections due to a slightly untraditional background - hence the discomfort in putting my stats up.  I'm domestic, my Northwestern acceptance came early Feb.  

My background makes me rather easily identifiable, so unfortunately I don't feel comfortable putting my exact stats up.  But to answer your question as best as possible - My GPA was 3.6-3.8ish (lower than many people here it seems, haha), my GREs were pretty high though.  I definitely did not have connections due to a slightly untraditional background - hence the discomfort in putting my stats up.  I'm domestic, my Northwestern acceptance came early Feb.  

Its OK. Congratulations on your Northwestern admission. I have some academic status near you but I am international...and still look forward to universities like Northwestern and other ones mentioned.

Anyway, wish you all the best.