I/O psychology

halshima

hello everyone,

I just graduated with a bachelors in psychology and behavioral sciences. I want to apply to I/O graduate programs but i am nervous because my gpa it is a 2.7. do i have any chances of getting in anywhere? I have past experience with two researches and in one of them i was published on a poster. i would appreciate any kind of advice.

All signs point to no.

And if I can get real for a minute, a GPA that low suggests a stunning lack of effort. (Unless there were extenuating circumstances that you don't mention.) My advice is to save your application money and find a job where they won't ask for your grades. I know I'm being harsh, but after four years of not caring about school why would you want to do another year or two?

You didn't indicate your degree objective (M.S./M.A., Ph.D.) so it's unclear what type of program you are aiming to apply to. Many doctoral programs require a 3.0 minimum GPA for entrance into their program and at least a 1200 GRE-equivalent score. This is a hard cut-point, meaning your application will be automatically routed to the circular file upon receipt. Your best bet would be to apply to masters programs, which typically have less strict admissions requirements (although your GPA may still be a challenge). If you want to eventually enter a Ph.D. program, having a strong master-level GPA will be important to demonstrate that you've overcome whatever academic problems you experienced during undergrad.

Also, if your grades were consistently low throughout school, you may want to do as the above poster strongly advised and take some time off to work in order to assess your educational priorities. If you had a low GPA at the start of college -- a challenging transition time for many students -- but your grades rose consistently over time, and you know you have the dedication and motivation to work hard and achieve good results, then pursuing a master's degree right now may be a feasible option.

Best of luck with your endeavors!