A Bold step....tips for beginners??

tmishra

Hello Everybody,

Let me give a background check on myself. I have a bachelor's degree in Information Technology and a Master's Degree in Computer Science. I am now doing a Master's in Art History (Shocking, huh!). Reasons? I have been an Artist on the side for 10 years now and have a passion towards Arts and Arts History. I couldn't get a education in this area before due to parental and social pressure (Sounds Stupid). But Now finally I have a chance to get a education in this area. I have faced lots of negative criticisms and discouragement. So i do not want to hear that here. All I know is I am happy in my life now and to prove a point that someone like me can follow their passions I have to do good and I know I will. I am ready for any kind of Hard work and dedication. Since, I do not have a background it is going to hard for me. That is why I am considering getting a Ph.D as well after my masters. I am inclined more towards European Art, Roman and Greek movements. Any tips for some one like me to take care of? I am trying to get involved in research work in my department is that I can get as much as exposure as I can.

I want to get a Ph.D in a university that provides good funding. Any universities I should start looking at? What is the process to apply for a Ph.D? Do i have to give the GRE again? I know these are really naive questions, but that's why I am here.

Thank you all! :)

What is your career direction in art? That is what will determine what further graduate education you would need. Unless you plan on becoming a curator in an art museum or a professor of art history a Ph.D. is probably going to make you over-qualified for other kinds of jobs. As I commented in another thread, a sucessful Ph.D. application requires a fair amount of focus, even with a specific sub-discipline, so you should use your grad classwork and research projects to explore your areas of interest and narrow them down. This also makes it easier once it comes time to select professors/departments for further study. From reading others comments, figuring out your specific sub-discipline before you write your Master's thesis also seems like a good plan, because then you have a really good writing sample which gives an in-depth sample of your work. You shouldn't have to take the GRE again, unless more than 5 years pass between the time you took them and the time you are applying.

• 3 weeks later...