PhD or MA?

mirop

I'm quite positive that many have asked this same question before, so excuse me if you've answered this one before. I'm a nontraditional student (in my thirties) who has just graduated from a public school in NYC with a BA in Art History. My GPA was just below a 4.0 in my major and just below a 3.8 altogether. I have professors who will write me very good recommendation letters, I've worked for the art department, and I know exactly what I want my focus to be in grad school (I wrote more than one paper related to my focus in undergrad). I know that I want to pursue a Phd, but I'm worried that I will be overlooked because my undergrad was at a public school. My advisor has told me to apply everywhere and see what happens, but I'm thinking I might be better off only applying for MA programs to save myself a bruised ego and extra application fees, and then I can apply for Phd programs after I finish an MA. Any thoughts or advice?

I have a similar problem, but abandon the idea that your alma mater being a public school is an issue. While most of us are aware of the copious number of private universities that offer MAs and/or PhDs, there are public institutions with top-notch Art History programs as well (i.e. University of Michigan and University of California- Berkeley). I know a student who did his BA in Art History at a CUNY school and is now enrolled in a PhD program at an Ivy. Also, some universities that offer both PhDs and terminal MAs will consider applicants they rejected from the PhD for the MA. I believe CUNY Graduate Center, NYU Institute of Fine Arts, and Columbia (I think) have departments that do this. And if you really do have a focus, look hardest at the schools that have faculty members who are scholars in your field of interest; if you do apply for the PhD, one of those individuals is going to be your thesis advisor for 6+ years! I apologize if you've heard all of this before, and if you have other questions, continue to post (I know I will), and PMing people is always helpful. If I can't answer them, I'm sure there is someone on the Art History grad cafe forum who can. Best wishes to you! I hope I was able to eradicate or at least ameliorate some doubts you had!

Thanks KGdude. I was at a CUNY school, so that does make me feel a little better. I've done a lot of research on professors, and I've pretty much narrowed down my choices already, so I should just apply to those and see what happens and not worry about rejection.

You should definitely apply to PhD programs if that's what you ultimately hope to do. Almost every top PhD program is fully funded, and most Masters programs are not, and you don't want to go in to debt getting a higher degree in the humanities if you don't have to--it just doesn't make financial sense. Also, since you're older, going straight to a PhD will allow you to finish more quickly.

If you don't get into a PhD program, then, yes, do a Masters program and improve your credentials (which, by the way, sound good already). As for your worry about a bruised ego--well, I can only say you might as well try to develop a tougher skin now, because there's a lot of competition in this field, and the prospect of failure will continue to haunt you throughout your career (the prospect of not getting a fellowship, of not getting a job, of not getting tenure, etc.). Getting a PhD in the humanities requires a certain amount of fortitude, and you don't want to miss opportunities and get into debt at such an early stage of your career because you're worried about feeling bad about yourself.

Edited by condivi

You're welcome Mirop! You sound like an excellent candidate for the degree! Obviously disappointments are inevitable, but let's hope that none of us who are applying this season get too many of those. What area/epoch of Art History are you most interested in? If you don't feel comfortable disclosing too much information here you can always message me!